No Longer a 1974 Honda Cl360, Now a 1970 SL350 Build Thread

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by TreeFarm, May 11, 2018.

1. TreeFarm

TreeFarm Internet fabricator. Premium Member

Build(s):
    Surprisingly clean, given its age and Alaskan life. Some surface rust here and there, a few holes in the exhaust, brake cables seized up. Should be easy to get it back on the road. Last tags were from 85.

max 02 likes this.
  2. Greg Ducato

Greg Ducato 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Sweet bike, haven't seen one in many years

TreeFarm likes this.
  3. TreeFarm

Build(s):
    Got it started today. They guy had said he started it a few months ago. The starter solenoid wouldn't work when I looked at it yesterday. He decided to pull the starter and dropped the starter chain down in the case before I got there. So today, popped off the cover, and put the starter back in. After hitting the button a bunch the contacts in the solenoid must have cleaned enough to work. a few cranks later it fired right up.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Only motorcycle I ever had was a 1967 C110 Honda..it was a 50cc with a 4 speed,hand clutch,not many with standard transmissions were made back then..
    I got it for $35 in very decent shape,but it wasn't without its quirks..it seemed to only want NGK spark plugs,it would run perfect until it decided to shut off and refuse to start again until a new plug was installed,still had nice blue spark when you pulled the plug out and kicked it over,but it would not even fart until a new plug went in it,then it fired up immediately--I got an average of 2 weeks out of a spark plug..

I tried using Champion plugs in it--had to buy a box of 10 to get them,for almost what I paid for it,parts store wouldn't stock them ..
    Those were lucky to last a day before they failed..

After a few months one day the flywheel nut came loose and it wobbled on the crank taper long enough to wear the woodruff key slot in it so wide it almost went 1/3 of the way around the taper--a friend of my dad tried brazing the key in the crank for me,but it ended up not being quite in the original spot and I couldn't get it to run good by altering the point gap...
    The only parts available were in the form of parts doner bikes at a Honda shop ,they wanted $100 for a crankshaft,or $150 for a running 90cc off an S90 they had..

I decided not to fix it after nearly getting hit by cars on it more than once,I sold it to someone for parts..
    It was a pretty cool cycle,it could go 60 mph --eventually!..had enough power to climb some pretty steep hills too in first..

There was a nice sand pit and a long trail to ride it on near my house--but to get to it I had to drive along side of a highway ,I lived on the northbound side of it and had to drive in the breakdown lane or shoulder of the road to get there--one day coming home I was going south in the northbound breakdown lane as close as I could to the shoulder, about 50 mph,and a state cop happened by..
    He gave me a good reaming,and came close to having the bike hauled away and impounded..:eek:

Tried posting a photo of one just like it.but it refuses to load..computer is acting up lately..:doah:

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

C110 Honda.jpg Only motorcycle I ever had was a 1967 C110 Honda..it was a 50cc with a 4 speed,hand clutch,not many with standard transmissions were made back then..
    I got it for $35 in very decent shape,but it wasn't without its quirks..it seemed to only want NGK spark plugs,it would run perfect until it decided to shut off and refuse to start again until a new plug was installed,still had nice blue spark when you pulled the plug out and kicked it over,but it would not even fart until a new plug went in it,then it fired up immediately--I got an average of 2 weeks out of a spark plug..

I tried using Champion plugs in it--had to buy a box of 10 to get them,for almost what I paid for it,parts store wouldn't stock them ..
    Those were lucky to last a day before they failed..

After a few months one day the flywheel nut came loose and it wobbled on the crank taper long enough to wear the woodruff key slot in it so wide it almost went 1/3 of the way around the taper--a friend of my dad tried brazing the key in the crank for me,but it ended up not being quite in the original spot and I couldn't get it to run good by altering the point gap...
    The only parts available were in the form of parts doner bikes at a Honda shop ,they wanted $100 for a crankshaft,or $150 for a running 90cc off an S90 they had..

I decided not to fix it after nearly getting hit by cars on it more than once,I sold it to someone for parts..
    It was a pretty cool cycle,it could go 60 mph --eventually!..had enough power to climb some pretty steep hills too in first..

There was a nice sand pit and a long trail to ride it on near my house--but to get to it I had to drive along side of a highway ,I lived on the northbound side of it and had to drive in the breakdown lane or shoulder of the road to get there--one day coming home I was going south in the northbound breakdown lane as close as I could to the shoulder, about 50 mph,and a state cop happened by..
    He gave me a good reaming,and came close to having the bike hauled away and impounded..:eek:

C110 Honda.jpg

6. TreeFarm

Build(s):
    Thats a sweet looking bike. I know what you mean about riding along the highway. Growing up I rode a honda CT70 around. I lived in a small town of a few hundred people about 10 miles out of the main town. I would regularly ride the back roads or along the highway to get into town. Eventually my friends and I found enough un fenced properties to link the back roads together to get to just about anywhere we needed. Ah those were good days.