NP-208 Transfer case rebuild ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Killain, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Killain

Killain Registered Member Premium Member

Well, the transfer case in my 88 is finally making sounds like it wants a retirement party, it's 32 years old, so . .

Where or how is the best way to replace or rebuild this unit There arn't too many of these held currently by any rebuilders.? It's got a 107.00 miles on it and I've changed the old 2 times now, still getting noisy. but nothing lasts forever ? transfer case.JPG

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Only typical wear item I've heard with the chain driven cases are the shift fork pads and the chain stretching.

Chains are kinda pricey, I've not priced out any of the other innards, although I'm sure there are kits with many of the parts that can or need to be replaced, like seals.

If the 208 is anything like the 241, exceptionally easy to take apart and put back together. Hardest part for me was getting the case halves to seal. YouTube is often a great resource to see what you are getting into, before you get into it. ;)

I might suggest scouring craigslist to see if anyone is parting another truck out with a 208, and rebuild that one.

3. wheels87k5

wheels87k5 24 Karat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    I have an NP208 that is just sitting around. I don't need it and you are welcome to it for the price of shipping. I have since moved on the an NP241 so it is just a large paper weight sitting on my garage floor. If interested PM me and I'll be glad to let you have it. It does need rebuilt but I am not going to use it in the future.

4. Killain

Thank you, in this current day and place that is very very kind. Thank you. I'm kinda looking at replacing my whole TC with a overhauled or ebuild unit. The case itself is about 100 pounds and I don't want to do this half way, so a rebuilt transfer case is my goal. Problem is the NP 208 is a little long in the tooth and not too many rebuilders have any or even service the cases anymore, or at least that has been my reaction so far. So I believe my search is going to be for a rebuilder who still works on a case like this, and of course the cost. No matter how you slice it there's shipping, that is about 1/4 the total cost, then you going to need some sort of a warranty, something So that is my hunt. I'm retired, so if it was a point, I'd put the thing in my trucks bed and drive it to and from the rebuilder, I'd at least get a road trip out of the deal ? With the covid, I've been a prisoner in my own home since february.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I might research the np241 then, I want to think the 1989 would be a bolt in swap? 241 certainly still has support, and is a very good case.

I dont think the 208 is all that bad either, but if support is drying up, 241 wouldnt be a bad idea if it is a drop in replacement like I think it is.

6. obijuank5

obijuank5 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Last time I checked, the passenger drop 241 had some obsolete parts that are passenger drop specific like the fork. The 208 however was used by the big 3 and parts will probably never dry up.
    Finding someone to do it should be relatively simple. It's the same basic design as tcase used currently. Almost nothing had really changed on new process chain driven cases.

7. Wes Harden

Wes Harden 1/2 ton status Premium Member

8. Wes Harden

Wes Harden 1/2 ton status Premium Member

9. Killain

Wes Harden likes this.