OHV Permit for Deer Creek / Saints John Loop

Discussion in 'Blazin Trails' started by ramack, Jul 29, 2019.

1. ramack

ramack 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm part of a small group going out by Montezuma, CO to run the Deer Creek / Saints John Loop this Saturday. Colorado Parks and Wildlife is telling me that I have to purchase a permit to run the loop. Thinking that being odd since I have never had to obtain a permit to travel on ANY Forest Service road, I called the Dillon Ranger office, and they are telling me no. But....to be certain, the rep. is going to follow up.

Really? Since when is a permit required for a FS road? This is for a tagged Colorado vehicle, not a off road rock crawler, just a regular basically stock K5.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  2. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Build(s):
    Yes, there are some trails that require an OHV permit for even a licensed vehicle; most of them are on the western slope. Many in our local club have started purchasing OHV tags for their 4x4's because of this and also the money from the permits goes to a grant fund. We have a better chance of getting grants when members pay into the fund.

3. ramack

I use to hunt and fish in an area southwest of Rampart Range. I knew you had to purchase a permit to use those trails which are single track. Those are used by dirt bikes and ATVs, non-street legal.

By definition
    https://cpw.state.co.us/buyapply/Pages/RegistrationsOHV.aspx
    Colorado OHV Permit requirements:
    All OHVs and motor vehicles (including motorcycles) that display a valid Colorado license plate must also display a current Colorado OHV use permit sticker when operated on designated OHV trails in Colorado.

The CPW guy I've been corresponding with told me that what does and does not constitute a "designated OHV trail" isn't very well defined and in general most people (me included) don't get the permits if/where required. My understanding had been that the permits are only required for non-plated vehicles.

I still haven't determined if the Deer Creek / Saints John loop is an OHV trail. No word from the Dillon Ranger office.

4. mrk5

Build(s):
  5. ramack

Right, I've found the "full size trails", Deer Creek / Saints John isn't on that list.

But it is on page 8 of this list.
    https://staythetrail.org/map/

Do I need a permit to drive my K5 on this loop?
    USDA Forest Service office-No.
    Colorado Parks and Wildlife office - Yes.

6. mrk5

Build(s):
    For what it's worth, the Trails Offroad site lists it as requiring a permit. My thought is because the OHV permit is a Colorado thing, the USFS may not be up to speed depending on which person you talk to any given day. Typical bureaucracy.

My opinion is you do. Whether or not you'd ever get in trouble, I'd say probably not. I'll warn you if you get an OHV tag at a retail location, they'll be confused about what you need.

All I know is there's a tree root on nearby North Fork Swan River trail that did a real number on the side of the crew cab.