CK5 Network
Repairing, restoring or modifying your ride just got a whole lot easier!

Old Home Stereo Gear?

skratch

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
I was wondering who all here is into older home stereo gear.
I got my hands on a Pioneer 4 channel reciever model QX-747, and I have no idea what to do with it.
I thought about using it if I could figure out how to hook it up, but iI'm more into the Kenwood gear myself.
If anybody has any thoughst on this unit and how to use it or is interested let me know.

Z3PR

Banned
Reaction score
I have a fairly newer JBL home theater in the living room, but I also have a old Vector Research stereo back in the bedroom.

75-K5

3/4 ton status
Reaction score
I have an old SX-650 which rocks out! Those old stereos really put out! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Greg72

#MIGHTASWELLK5
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd like to get one of those old receivers for my shop stereo..... you know, the kind with the BIG machined tuner knob on them and a really wide display (analog) for the radio stations...

I've seen some that you could spin that knob and watch the needle just cruise along the dial....there was so much weight in the knob it acted like a flywheel and just kept going and going and going..... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I think it was an old Marantz or something. I'm sure these are the workhorses you could find at yard sales for around $25 or less nowadays.

/forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

mud390

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
I've got a Sony setup in my living room right now, but I still have old stereo system. Its a 1984ish Marantz receiver, EQ, and I used to have the matching CD player of the same vintage, but it finally gave up the ghost. This thing weighs a ton! Its all digital though. 1000 watts by 4 channels. It will get LOUD too!! I've only got two of the original floor speakers that came with it, but they still play good as new. I miss using that stereo!

Kris

75-K5

3/4 ton status
Reaction score
[ QUOTE ]
I've seen some that you could spin that knob and watch the needle just cruise along the dial....there was so much weight in the knob it acted like a flywheel and just kept going and going and going.....

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Yeah, my Pioneer will do this, even at its advanced age (early 70's). I used to do it all the time when I was younger and was our main stereo in our house, now that it's mine I'm glad I didn't screw anything up back then.

84gmcjimmy

1 ton status
Reaction score
All the stuff at my house is mostly old stuff from my dads years. We have a old pioneer (dont no the model number) A old sanyo, and one other one. And like 6 record players, 2 tape decks, and some speakers. Just recently upgraded to newer stuff. I find the easier stereo equip. is easier to work. Not so many buttons /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Triaged

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
[ QUOTE ]
I've seen some that you could spin that knob and watch the needle just cruise along the dial....there was so much weight in the knob it acted like a flywheel and just kept going and going and going..... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got one like that in the livingroom /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

At least the TV has variable out so you don't have to get up to adjust the volume...it does look kinda strange with the DVD player on top of it /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

HarryH3

1 ton status
Author
Reaction score
[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to get one of those old receivers for my shop stereo..... you know, the kind with the BIG machined tuner knob on them and a really wide display (analog) for the radio stations...

[/ QUOTE ]

I picked up an old Technics SA-303 for the garage a while back. It plays through a set of JBL speakers. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif It will definitely rock the house! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

chevyracing

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
I have a SXD-7000 Pioneer. This thing is huge and cranks out some juice, The problem is the volume knob is staticy.

CR

surpip

1 ton status
Reaction score
The volume knob uses a POT wich is like a variable restior, youshould be able to take it apare and clean the contacts with a q-tip and some alcohol, if not they should be pretty easy to find. Its hard for me to describe it but if you take it apart you should be able to clean it, hope this helps,
dale /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Top Bottom