Opinions wanted.......1986 K20

badmix

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Guy up the road has an 1986 k20 model 3/4 ton, 2wd, stick shift truck for sale.

Mileage is around 138k, interior is shot, but very basic, no factory headliner.

I drove it today, drove good on back roads. Needs body work , cab corners, spot in passenger side floorboards. One area of concern is firewall, below steering column , I didn't see patch panels on LMC.

Also, they don't have door keys, is replacing cylinder easy?

Other wise , just an old farm truck I'd like to fix up and drive.

Guy wanted 3000 last year when I stopped by, but today his daughter was there and he wasn't, told her I'd like to be in it at 1500. So, she gonna talk to him

So, thoughts ?

obijuank5

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Solutions
Reaction score
I wouldnt pay more than 800 bucks for a 2wd. If you meant 4wd, 1500 is easier to rationalize.
Without pics, its tough to say.
The pedals are worth a few hundred if you part it out.

badmix

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
It's 2wd, everyone around here thinks they sitting on gold.

Rough parts list has me at $1500, dash, door panels, wheel wells etc etc

diesel4me

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
The few square bodies I see up here on FB or craigslist are priced insanely too,they all have rot,need some major repair or "ran when parked",but now doesn't start,etc..
$1500 is about the bottom price for these trucks regardless of being a 4x4 or not,everyone thinks their stuff is gold here too,even when its more iron ore than gold..

Replacing door lock cylinders is easy once the panels are off,last I knew parts stores still have listings for them,or you can pull one and take it to a locksmith and have a new key made...years ago it was $10 around here but it was probably 20 years ago last time I had that done..
I have over 300 GM keys from my days of working at the junkyard,when they closed they were going to throw them away,so I took them...only failed to find a key to open doors or start a truck or car I bought that lacked keys a couple times since then..

badmix

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
well they didn't call me back yesterday or today, so guessing they didn't like my offer they wanted 3k and I offered 1500 which is still too much but truck did drive well, brakes , trans and motor worked well. Jis needs complete interior and lots of patch panels. Ohwell just not gonna over pay just because.

buffblazer

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I picked up my 85 K20 for $2500 in February. 350, 4 speed truck with Silverado trim. Ac works, power windows and locks and all that. Interior super nice and complete

has rust behind the rear tires and the cab corners are starting to go. But floorboards are solid and so is everything else.

just giving you an idea of cost. For a 2wd that needs a lot of rust repair that seems pretty high.

badmix

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Just the way it is around here, doesn't matter what it is, everyone thinks their stuff is made of gold

1 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
If it is 2wd, it is a C20, not a K20.

From your description, my top dollar would be $500.

Martin

badmix

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Ok thanks for clarification.

Well , they never called back, so guess they gonna let it sit and degrade further.

paratrooper307

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
A lot has changed in the past decade. In 2010 I bought my running, driving K5 Blazer with minimal rust (plus a parts Suburban with a rod knock thrown in with the deal) for $1500. Demand for nice restored square bodies starts going up and suddenly everyone thinks that every rusted out, non-running piece of junk farm truck is worth a mint.

Last edited:

diesel4me

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
True here as I've said....so if I go to sell either of MY square bodies,which are both in the above mentioned condition--MY price will be ridiculously high too.....(but I bet I'll never get what I ask !)..
I feel very stupid looking back at all the decent trucks and cars I had in the past and all the others I passed on buying cheap because now I'd be rich if I had kept them or bought more of them...
In the 80's muscle cars with issues and trucks from 1950's to 70's were pretty plentiful and cheap. $500 bought a pretty decent one then..

Top Bottom