Ordered a soft topper for my 84' Jimmy

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by B.barket, Feb 13, 2017.

1. B.barket

B.barket Registered Member Premium Member

Hey all.. I spent last summer picking and choosing my trips based on weather and slathering sun screen on my kid before any long drive in the sun.. One summer of that was enough, so today I ordered a top from softtopper for my 84' Jimmy.. Hat tip to softtopper as the ordering process was really easy.. They even refunded me a few dollars after they calculated shipping and it was less than first thought.. Here's to hoping the install is easy and the quality is good!.. I'll post up once it's installed with some pics and my thoughts.. To anyone who's installed one of these.. Any tips or tricks for the install that are maybe not covered in the instructions?..

2. 83ChevyK5Blazer

83ChevyK5Blazer 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    Let the top sit in the sun a couple hours, it well help it loosen up some and take your time adjusting everything.
    Seam seal the seams before you put it on as well.
    I've had mine outside in a storm we got 7 inches plus of rain from, not a drop inside!

3. k5balzer

k5balzer Registered Member Premium Member

x2 on both suggestions - the seam sealer is a must. Other than that the directions hit pretty much everything. Enjoy, you'll love it!

4. B.barket

B.barket Registered Member Premium Member

Well spring finally yielded some weather that allowed me to get after the soft top install. No buds around to help me get the roof off so enter my tractor and forks and the removal went smoothly thank god. The install went pretty smooth. Directions could be a bit more clear with how to install the weather stripping but its only a small complaint. Beyond that. It wasn't super warm and the sun had gone away by the time I got the top on so the fabric was a bit of a bear to work with and its so tight in the back right corner that it was actually slightly bending up the bed rail on that corner causing a very slight gap. ( To be clear the truck bed rail was not bending. I mean the rail for the soft top that fastens to the truck bed rail). The gap seems to have settled down some now that the top has been on for about 72hrs now as the fabric relaxes. I'll get it out in the sun the first chance I get and I'm sure it will relax even more. All in all. The fit and finish is really good. And the quality of the materials is really good as well. I went with the blacked out windows which I recommend to anyone. They look fantastic. Sorry I didn't get great pics of it. I'll add more later. Any questions about the install, feel free to ask. I wish I was better with taking video's. There is no good start to finish install video out there which is surprising. Anyway, I went for a drive and at about120km's p/hr the top did not flop around and seemed very secure. Its is an outstanding unit that I fully recommend.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]