Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oven cleaner?????????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tiger9297, Mar 21, 2005.

1. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I am cleaning the under side of my K5 to repaint. Frame (where visible) axles, etc. There is some grease/oil I have got to remove. I tried some Gunk engine degreaser w/ my pressure washer yesterday. I got quite a bit off but still some there. I have heard that oven cleaner works really well. I didn't know if it would be safe on seals, gaskets, etc. Has anyone tried this stuff?

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i love oven cleaner. That said, I wouldnt ever use it on anything but steel. Its nasty stuff and can eat seals/gaskets and it will corrode aluminum too. For bare steel stuff it can't be beat though. I usually spray it on in the morning, let it sit all day while Im at work and then pressure spray it off when I get home. Kicks grease ass.

j

3. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

like he said.:D

4. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    It also removes paint really well!!

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

removes lettering..

Body shops use E-Z Off oven cleaner to remove lettering from service vans and the company logo's--they spray it in a can and brush it over only the letters,and let it sit 15 minites or more,and then use a plastic bondo spreader to scrape the paint or decal off--it works good, but it has to stay on just long enough,too long,and both layers of paint down to the bare metal will be removed!--they buff it out with a bonnet and rubbing compound,most ot the time its hardly noticeable where the letters were..

Oven cleaner has lots of Lye in it--its caustic,wear goggles and gloves--especially goggles or a face sheild--I splattered some in my eyes with a wire brush when I cleaned an axle off with it--the only worse pain than that was when I did much the same thing cleaning concrete with muriatic acid and a wure brush--OUCH!!!!---both eat skin too--it works better than Gunk 'Engine Brite" stuff,and its cheaper too,I use the dollar store :generic: version--no need to buy E-Z Off for twice as much or more....:crazy:

6. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Castrol Super Clean stuff in the purple gallon jug works almost as good as oven cleaner and is half the price, about the same price of engine cleaner. It's bio-degradable and will work really well on grease.