CK5
Register an account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members.

Pictures of DRW trucks, work’n trucks, etc…

The really old one is a 1938 “Big-Jimmy” GMC and the newer-ish firetruck is a 1981 C7000 GMC - I assume that the ‘39 is restored but ya’ gotta appreciate just how good of shape most fire departments keep their equipment up.

The two-tone brown and tan C-30 is just like the pic from the brochure - thought that was kinda cool.

The other two brochure pics show the optional “Blazer type” rear bumper on a C/K-30 - popular retrofit but a little rare to see as built/ordered.

The ‘78 C-30 has gotta loose that shell on the back !

IMG_5256.jpeg

IMG_5258.jpeg

IMG_5257.jpeg

IMG_5252.jpeg

IMG_5255.jpeg

IMG_5254.jpeg

IMG_5259.jpeg

IMG_5253.jpeg
 

I always thought the Camper Specials were supposed to have the rear bar? And I always just assumed the previous owner had removed mine.
 
I always thought the Camper Specials were supposed to have the rear bar? And I always just assumed the previous owner had removed mine.
I had a 80 k30 12k gvw trailer towing special all stock no mods . No sign of rear sway bar . . . Now 2wd yep seen a few with sway bar . Have a frame cut off now in my pile from a p3500hd 10 lug rear dana 70hd and sway bar all included .
 
I always thought the Camper Specials were supposed to have the rear bar? And I always just assumed the previous owner had removed mine.
For years I’ve been look’n to see if I could ever run across a K/V series DRW square with the rear sway bar and related hardware and never did ; but that doesn’t mean much so a few years ago I decided to research it instead of constantly looking for one with that setup.
I started with the RPO codes listed year by year from the GM Heritage Archives and studied the descriptions and read the footnotes for all things related to springs, chassis, trailering packages and camper special options - I also studied the GM Service & Illustration Manuals for any wording associated with each related codes and drawings and footnotes.

It turns out that the DRW 4WD’s were excluded on the rear sway bar package with the exception of certain specific Uncle Sam DRW M1028-A2 versions from ‘84~’87 - not all M1028’s but certain versions have this.
These versions also have heavier ( or multiple ) auxiliary springs and different related hardware as well compared to the civilian offerings - pretty cool stuff.

Kinda like the regular K-30 CUCV’s using a NP-208’s even though the civilian stuff wasn’t available with it - apparently Uncle Sam had enough purchasing power to get certain versions equipped the way they saw fit regardless of standard options on each series.
 
Last edited:
My old ‘83 K-3500 DRW Crew Cab had the Camper Special Package too and that’s what got me started on looking at any DRW 4WD to see why they didn’t come with the sway bar setups - in the real world they would be in the way while off-road since they are a below the axle mounted setup.

From what I could tell from the heritage site RPO listings the C/R DRW RPO code “RO5” triggers the rear sway bar with or without the Camper Special Package.
 
Last edited:
A lot of the M1028A2’s were conversions from regular M1028’s. There was literally a palletized kit for the conversion with all the parts on it. I wonder if those had the sway bar or didn’t?
 

Latest Posts

Top Bottom