Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pinion strength

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5freak44, Sep 6, 2005.

1. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

ive got a front 10 bolt with 3.42s right now and i want to regear it to 5.13s.

my question is, is there going to be any gain in the pinoin strength, if i get a new carrier, vs. running thick gears? what is the plus side to the new carrier?

thanks again
    -jonathan

2. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I don't think there is really much difference. The thicker ring gear makes up for the difference in the carrier, pinion is the same.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Your pinion will be weaker with 5.13's. As the gear ratio gets deeper the pinion will get weaker. 5.13's in a 10 bolt that is going to get used hard is kinda iffy. Some say ok some say it is getting to small. The tooth contact also gets to be less as your gears get deeper which makes them weaker. Sometimes it is better to get gears in other places then the axles if possible. This may or may not be one of those times.

Harley

4. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

yea, thats what im worried about.

ive got 5.13s in the back and i need to get something in the front that matches (either my 10 bolt regeared, or find a dana 60.

im still undecided but i think im guna stay with the 10 bolt for now, just keep it open and run about 36-38 in tire.

so the pinion issint any bigger with thin gears?