CK5 Network
Repairing, restoring or modifying your ride just got a whole lot easier!

posi, locker, or open?

JDBlazer454

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
I have been trying to figure out whether my 83 K5 with a 14 bolt full floater has a posi, locker, or is open? It will spin both rear tire freely when the gas is hit heavy enough and will kick it out sideways (lots of fun btw /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif ). I am having a major blonde moment as to identifying this /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

4553rear-3-med.jpg

4553rear-2-med.jpg

4553rear-1-med.jpg

HarryH3

1 ton status
Author
Reaction score
Judging by the fact that I can only see the end of one of the spider gear shafts at a time, it would appear that you have a gov-lock rear end. An open diff will have four of those shafts, and is the only one that a Detroit Locker will fit. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

JDBlazer454

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Thanks a bunch I had never seen one before and just knew right off it wasn't a posi but didn't know what.

Is a gov lock any good compared to a detroit or posi unit? I have owned a detroit before and my only complaint was how noisy it was moving it around in the driveway and on tight trails.

TruckNutzDude

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
If it is a gov-lock there will only be 3 pin locations on the carrier unlike an open one that has 4. You can get a powertrax locker for the gov-lock carrier IIRC and it should be almost as strong as a detroit. Most people do not like gov-locks, but most people are running them in 10 bolt rear ends. The 14 bolt one is much stronger, but not still not as strong as the detroit.

JDBlazer454

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
[ QUOTE ]
govlock go boom!

[/ QUOTE ]

Now don't be jinxing my truck to break /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

joez

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
[ QUOTE ]
govlock go boom!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think i just found a new sig line /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

84_Chevy_K10

Banned
Reaction score
Detroit no go boom. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

BAAAAAAAAAAAAD if detroit go boom.

JDBlazer454

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
[ QUOTE ]
14 bolt gov-lock not go boom so often.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what I thought too, I have heard and seen 12 bolt gov locks going boom lots. The friend I bought the truck from was shocked to hear a gov loc and he instantly said thats bad you gotta change it. But I think I will leave it since I don't wheel it often enough (if at all right now) to worry about it, its mainly street driven at this point.

Thanks for your help, you people are the shiznit /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

Top Bottom