Welcome To CK5!
Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.
Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.
Discussion in 'The Garage' started by laketex, Jun 13, 2003.
How hard is it to convert to manuals? I hate my power windows!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
Amen, brother. Power windows suck!
Should be able to install manual regulators and have manual windows /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. You will probably have to get new/different door panels that have holes for the splined regulator shaft to poke through. Those and a couple window crank handles then, in my opinion, you just improved the hell out of your truck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
Just see if someone with manual doors wants to trade /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
Nah, just cut holes in the existing panels...
Thanks moses. And I'd have to agree. AFter I shorted my wires, i've had enough. Before they wouldn't hardly roll down for the mud that is gunked in there, but not not at all. I'm done.
89, have you done this to your truck? I wouldn't mind cutting holes in the existing panels if i was sure it wouldn't be too ghetto. Any advice or parts i gotta switch?
yeah definately an option, except i'd lose the killer blue paintjob that way. Of course, I seem to be loosing it as is, one dent at a time!!!
You might want to PM Bigmeats, I think thats his name. He bought my old doors for that same purpose. So if he's done it he might be able to tell you how hard it was. And I'll keep my eye's open for a set if ya want. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Yeah I"ll do that, thanks. If you run across something cheap, then let me know. I had a good set but gave them away. Wish I hadn't now...
I did the swap on my '84. It's very straight forward. Just pull all the power stuff and bolt in the manual regulator. You don't even need to cut a hole in the door panel either since the crank shaft sticks right through the hole where the window switch used to be. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I think the hardest part was wrestling with the vent window out and manhandling the glass back in...
u wouldnt have pics showing how u did ur swap would ya? i got a couple of manual window regs and Id LOVE to get rid of my power window crap...
Nope, no pics, but heres what ya gotta do:
(bear with me, I'm trying to remember how it all goes together but you'll understand better once ya get in there)
1. remove door panel, making sure the window is rolled down - remove all screws, push up on the panel to remove it, it will be hard. Unplug the switch harness, leaving the switches in the panel, you can deal with these bad boys later.
2. with the window down, remove the vent window assembly - there are three screw on top of the door and one in the middle of the door. I can't remember but you may have to remove a bolt that can only be accessed from under the side mirror cover. Pulling this dude out will be tricky.
3. Once you get that crap out, loosen the other window guide and manuver the window out of the regulator track and remove the window.
4. Unplug the motor and unbolt the regulator and slide both out, I think you can leave the motor bolted to the regulator but I can't remember,
5. Now bolt the manual reg in place, it bolts to the top 4 holes whereas the power reg uses the bottom 4 holes.
6. "Installation reverse of removal" - Haynes Manual
I got 2doors(left and right) with manual windows I can pull every thing out them for you
power windows, locks, they all suck. after time they break. the only thing that needs power is the engine. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif
Separate names with a comma.