CK5 Network
Repairing, restoring or modifying your ride just got a whole lot easier!

Quietest Flowmaster?

dave_90_blazer

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Well guys?

I have a 380HP/440TQ 355 in my 90 and want it quieted down some(alot), it needs a new exhaust anyway, so wondered what mufflers I should go with

mud390

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Quietest Flowmasters? Probably the 70 series Flowmasters. Nice little rumble at idle, noticable under acceleration, but very unintrusive at cruising speeds. Good muffler.

Kris

duece21

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
This Flowmaster will let you compare what type of muffler you want on there, I like the sound of the 50 series my self, but everybody has their own pref. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
Good Luck,
Also check summit, sometimes they have good sales.
Jesse

4xcrazy

3/4 ton status
Reaction score
A friend of mine has a 70 series Flowmaster on it, it's nearly as quiet as a stock muffler, but still has that signature Flowmaster sound to it. Sounds nice, but as mentioned before i also prefer the 50 series, not super loud, but has a nice rumble to it, i have one similar to it on my Nova /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

BurbinOR

3/4 ton status
Reaction score
If you're not set on Flows, try a Magnaflow. Put one on my 91 Burb and absolutely love the sound. Quiet but a nice rumble. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4xcrazy

3/4 ton status
Reaction score
That one similar to the Flowmaster i said i had installed in my Nova, was the Hooker Aerochamber, it's an awsome sounding muffler.
I had it installed on my '88 Iroc Camaro also, and it proved it made a quicker E.T. in the quarter. Not alot, but it did.
When i bought the car it would run 15.1 consistantly, after the muffler and polyeurothane torque mount, it dropped to 14.7, consistantly. I could have bet on that car. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Those times were also on an engine that had 165k miles on it. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

BlazerGuy

3/4 ton status
Reaction score
Dang four tenths is pretty damn good fer just a muff... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thunder

3/4 ton status
Reaction score
If you want it quieted down a lot go with Dynomax super turbos. They flow better than a 50 series Flowmaster and are a lot quieter.
I just put a set on my Mustang and love them. Nice and quiet at idle and cruise but when you get on it people know you have something to fear.
I have 70 series flowmaster headers and no cat and a dump on my K5 its a good muff Pretty mellow till you get on it. Sounds good and not bad a cruise and idle. But the Dynomax supers are quieter. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4xcrazy

3/4 ton status
Reaction score
Yeah thats the other thing you need to take into consideration is the size of the cat, if you get one of those high flow smaller cats, the tone will be louder than with the stock unit. The stock cat acts like a muffler in itself.

84_Chevy_K10

Banned
Reaction score
I would get something other than flowmaster if you want quiet. There are far better flowing mufflers out there if you dont mind them being quiet.

bryguy00b

3/4 ton status
Reaction score
i had those same mufflers on my truck when i first got it and it sounded nice with the headers, but i was forced to take them of, but when i take it to have the new exhuast put on im putten those back on it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

dave_90_blazer

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
[ QUOTE ]
i had those same mufflers on my truck when i first got it and it sounded nice with the headers, but i was forced to take them of, but when i take it to have the new exhuast put on im putten those back on it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

which mufflers?

justhorsinaround

3/4 ton status
- In Memoriam -
Reaction score
I happen to love my Flowmasters. Backin off a bit yes they are 40's and loud but the motor revs right up with plenty of power and what not. I'm assumin that they will design the same abilities into all their mufflers. Just my thoughts.

Good luck to y'all in the future.

Allan

fortcollinsram

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Do't they make Flowmaster 80's for like RVs and stuff? maybe try those...

I have Flow 50's and they are LOUD. Esp with daul 3" pipes and a 454

Chris

4xcrazy

3/4 ton status
Reaction score
[ QUOTE ]
Do't they make Flowmaster 80's for like RVs and stuff? maybe try those...

I have Flow 50's and they are LOUD. Esp with daul 3" pipes and a 454

Chris

[/ QUOTE ]

Definately need to take into consideration the fact if a Catalytic converter is used, if it's stock or aftermarket, the stock cats act like a muffler, i have a 50 series on my truck right now, and all it produces is a mild rumble due to the stock GM cat. When i had the same muffler installed on my other vehicle with the same kind of motor and an aftermarket (smaller) cat, it was much louder.
With my truck, and the factory cat, i can literally remove the muffler and get a decent sounding, louder rumble with it. Just not the tone i like.
If you want loud with these mufflers or most any high flow muffler, remove the cat, mild loudness with nice tone, get an aftermarket cat(smaller) quiet rumble, leave or replace with factory cat.

Top Bottom