quincy model 308 compressor started investigating

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by blazinzuk, Oct 21, 2012.

1. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Anyone got any info, going to call quincy in the morning I have all the parts lists and stuff from their website.

This thing needs a motor and I have no clue how big, kind of assuming a 5 hp but who knows.

Whats a good brand of motor to run on it.

Probably going to take a bit to get it running but its not seized up, turns freely still had oil in it.

Anyway picture time

[​IMG]

Not a ton of info out there on these. I would like to know dates of production what the actual specs of the pump are ( I assume quincy can supply me with that) etc etc.

Buddy picked it up for me at auction cost me 20 bucks

2. lectric80

lectric80 3/4 ton status

A quick look leads me to believe it should be a 2 stage Quincy and use around a 2-3 HP 220v single phase motor. Looks like CFM is around 3.9 at 175 psi and 400 RPM and around 9.6 at 175 and 920 RPM. Current model would be, I believe, a model 310 to be in the same size range as that one. Quincy will be able to give you more info, but it sure sounds like it would be a decent compressor.

3. blazinzuk

Build(s):
    yah pretty much got all that but unless you found different numbers those are not actual specs.

Thing is one thing I found was this was offered with a 2-10 hp motor. Not sure if thats true or not either.

The model 310 is actually an older model too.

I really need to call quincy.

Worked on it some and got it unloaded in the garage tonight.

4. blazinzuk

Build(s):
    Got it cleaned up a bunch, tell ya what if your not afraid of a little elbow grease, dishsoap and water and some scrubbing can go a long long ways.

Took 5 guys to unload it tonight.

Started checking stuff out. Wanted to see if the tank leaked so I disconnected some stuff, closed some valves and put some air to it. Only got it to 20 psi but I couldn't hear any leaks. Will go get some adapters to further test. Kind of hard to hold the air nozzle on while trying to find leaks.

Took the output hose off and it compresses air, turn the pulley and air comes out. Thats a good sign.

Anyway this thing is cool, I intend to restore it as much as possible but first things first, got to get it running and working. It won't be restored as a look at me piece its going to get worked.

Tank as cleaned up as it is going to get with out some more abrasive work.

[​IMG]

Motor from the back. That is an oil pressure gauge. Probably one of the reasons these last so long, they are pressure lubed. They have a valve that won't allow the compressor to compress air till oil pressure is up.

[​IMG]

Intake side, this is what had me worried, it did not have a filter on it, so an oil change will be in order ASAP, although like I said it compresses air when you spin the pulley, and it spins very freely, only resistance it really has should be there

[​IMG]

And the front, or back side actually. I always have called it opposite of what it is on compressors cause the back has the pulleys, front has all the gauges, don't know why I do that. I just think the pulleys should be up front.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  5. lectric80

lectric80 3/4 ton status

I got those based on the 310 model, but they could be off. Still appears to be a good compressor. It is possible that it will take a higher HP motor, but the information I gave you is based on motor speed. Many of the posts I could find for 308's were using 3 HP motors and spinning around 500 RPM. But, that doesn't necessarily apply to what you have.

6. Fordum

Fordum 1 ton status Premium Member

Didn't notice it had a tank.
    Couple of ideas.

Make sure it has a drain and that it is in good shape and shows signs of having been used.
    If you can get that big plug out of the side, get a borescope, a small video camera, or a mirror on a stick that will let you inspect the inside of the tank.

They are fairly thick steel, but if it has not been maintained it can rust out from the inside. Especially around the welded seam.
    I have seen one rupture and one blow completely, and trust me you do not want to be close by when it does.....

Also, make sure the fins on the output pipe are clean so the spokes on the pulley can cool the air well.

If you have any compressed air companies around, you might inquire as to prices for getting the tank static tested if you cannot inspect it inside.

7. blazinzuk

Build(s):
    It has enough plugs in the tank ( 2 big ones like you saw and 2 smaller ones) that tank inspection will be pretty easy.

Drain on the bottom is a couple of pipes to a decent sized valve easy to get to and works very well, I think this machine was decently maintained

Oddly enough I have been pretty close to a couple of tanks rupturing, certainly not something you want to be to close to. But neither one I experienced would have hurt anyone unless they were VERY close to it. But yes caution will be exercised