Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Re-engineering My Banks Cold Air Intake

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by AgDieseler, Nov 28, 2004.

1. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Okay, so I've been less than thrilled with the intake that Banks offers with their Sidewinder system. My main gripe is that the airbox sits too close the the battery, making servicing terminals a tough job for fear of grounding. Secondly, the filter only has about 115 sq. in. of surface area, and is shaped and positioned in such a way that it get's filled with dirt in just a few thousand miles. I could clean my filter at nearly every oil change; it's just not big enough. I guess I'll have to build my own.

So the plan is this:
    <ul type="square">[*]Build a sheetmetal barrier where the passenger battery is now - ~$15 sheet from Lowe's
    [/list]<ul type="square">[*]House a big AFE inverted top filter there - $65 on the internet (200 in.2! SA)
    [/list]<ul type="square">[*]Move the battery back where the radiator overflow is on the fender using a newly fabbed battery tray - $10 tray from LMC + scrap metal lying around
    [/list]<ul type="square">[*]Move the overflow bottle to under the filter housing - ~$10 for a new bottle since mine is old and cracked
    [/list]<ul type="square">[*]3" or 4" tubing for all the intake stuff depending on space limitations - FREEBIE!!!
    [/list]

First pics:
    I built a cardboard model of the AFE filter. I chose to use one of the filter that comes in the Dmax kit. Dimensions are: 8" dia. base, 7" dia. top, 8" length, 4" intake, inverted top - approx. total filter surface area = 200 sq. in.

The "filter" - Built primarily to make sure that the full size 8" length filter will fit, so now I will order one.
    [​IMG]

A 3" to 4" 90 degree transition sourced from a wrecked T444E Navistar motor. This is really what 's going to make this project easy, and it retails for about $50. FREEBIE!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here's a general mockup of how things are going to work. I'll pick up a sheet of 22 ga steel, and start fabbing the box. The light is a little poor, but you can get the general idea.
    [​IMG]

That's all for now. Finals are rounding the corner, and that's going to consume most of my time for the next couple of weeks.

Some more pics:
    ttp://www.oliverdiesel.com/images/afeintake/

2. AgDieseler

Build(s):
    The filter arrived, and I did a little bit of work on relocating the battery tray. It's a little late, and I'm getting a little bleary-eyed - killer final this morning.

AFE:
    [​IMG]

Sectioned battery tray:
    [​IMG]

Preliminary positioning - notice the precision leveling devices:
    [​IMG]

3. AgDieseler

Build(s):
    Done! Here's a quick before and after. Time for sleep.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. woods

woods Registered Member

nice I think I may have to do this to mine once I get my banks installed!

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Looks great! Nice work.

Just as an FYI to you and whoever else is interested in doing this mod - the air filter you can use is a standard NAPA/Cummins/etc part number that is known in the Cummins turbo diesel world as a BHAF (big honking air filter :D ) and can be bought for around $35.

Also, to add to the treated filter (K&N, etc) info, most if not all guys that have had K&N filters on their turbo diesels have noticed a film of oil (along with dirt) in their intake tubes directly downstream from the air filter. Consensus is the large BHAF paper filters do a much better job at actually filtering the air. The part number to cross reference is Fleetguard #AH19037 - Napa crossed mine off that number easily.