CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Rear Disc brake conversion

6872xtc

make mine modified
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Yes, the parking brake is a problem. I have the adjuster tool and did the procedure that I believe was correct. I know that 4:56 gears with a big block and 700R4 pull decently off idle, but I had the drums before, so I had a frame of reference. And I don't use the park brake much with an automatic transmission either, but I wanted it to be functional if I needed it. As it is, I just use it to keep the calipers adjusted.

K85 Octane

Tacklin' Fuel
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I think the kits and how they adapt a caliper is nice. The packages tend to be complete and without issue. Steer clean of the caliper brackets that use spacers. I don’t remember where mine is from, maybe DIY4x, but his brackets have a bend in them which worked out much better than the included spacer/brackets that came in a kit I bought from xyz brand originally.
I will be adding the JB Conversion parking brake kit that mounts to the 241. I hope is clamps better than the calipers do.
Again, I don’t have much of a gripe about the parking brake, I knew I would be loosing it. It’s the spongy feel and terrible “holding power” while in 4L. (700/241/4.88/37”)

If you really really want to ditch the 12b and gain disc brakes, you’ll be MILES ahead just swapping a newer axle in with disc already.

ashman

What's a pigeonrat??
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Hey Chris,

I agree with the guys that say leave it alone. Based on our conversations, I don't think you are going to lack braking power for how you plan on using it. I'd put it all together, start using it, and if you decide to change it up later, you can do it then. Properly adjusted drum brakes for the rear should work just fine.

frankin5

Super Mall Crawler
Premium Member
Reaction score
for the Cadillac parking brake to work properly it has to set each time you park you vehicle. The parking brake being set adjusts the caliper out to the rotor to maintain proper braking.

Gibby56

More Skinny Pedal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have the Cadillac caliper kit from Lugnut4x4. They work decent but require a lot of fine tuning. Lugnut4x4 had great customer service and the parts provided are good quality. I would not hesitate to buy from him again.

That said, stay drums or swap a newer rear axle like others here have posted. The Cadillac calipers work ”meh” at best as a parking brake.

Skymortar

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a brand new set of brackets from Little Shop mfg. for sale. Only reason selling is I’m going with a 14 bolt. 150 shipped

0A392F06-E556-4D1D-879E-2E2796C1DA40.jpeg

Montanachris

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I may be interested. where can I get information on this kit and how it works and what does it fit

Top Bottom