Rear Disk Brake Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazin topless 75, Mar 22, 2004.

1. blazin topless 75

blazin topless 75 Registered Member

Is it possible to use calipers from a newer vehicle? I was eyeing the calipers from my wife's TrailBlazer and got to thinking that if I could fab the mounts for it, it might work and it would be easier to fit the E-Brake hardware due to availability...what are your thoughts?

2. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

With a Torch and a welder. ANYTHING will fit. If you can get one off and compare it's mounting to the 10bolt front calipers we would have a better clue. But i don't know of anybody who has a "kit" to put them on. Fabrication will be needed.

3. blazin topless 75

Are the parts readily available for E-brake installation for the Caddy calipers? I've read the install info on this site and it seems that the hardest part is finding donor e-brake parts to add to the install. Is there anyone out there that sells the complete kit including the e-brake parts?

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I got my bracket and hose kit from Azkickin , got my caddy calipers from Car-parts and I'm working on getting ebrake cables, haven't figured that one out yet as I had a fellow member rebuild my calipers for me and haven't gotten them back yet but are suppose to be here this week /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. blazin topless 75

Did your calipers come with the E-brake arms?

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Yes they did, came with the arms and springs....they even sent me the used pads that were on them and the caliper mounting bolts /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Like posted above, anything will work with enough fabrication.

But here are things to be aware of:
    1) Is the e-brake actually through the caliper? On a lot of newer trucks, there is actually a machined surface on the inside of the rotor where a drum-brake emergency brake makes contact. The e-brake doesn't do anything to the caliper.
    2) How big does the caliper open? If the rotors on a trailblazer (or whatever the donor vehicle is) are much thinner than a Chevy 3/4 ton 8 lug rotor, you're going to have fitment issues.
    3) Dang, I thought I had another one, but I can't think of it now. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

8. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Yes they did, came with the arms and springs....they even sent me the used pads that were on them and the caliper mounting bolts /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

How much did they cost, if you don't mind telling?

9. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

The ones I found cost me $35 + shipping for the pair /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif