CK5 Network
Repairing, restoring or modifying your ride just got a whole lot easier!

rear main seal

mccomas

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
when i replace my transmission next week, i want to replace the rear main seal. do i need any special tools to get it out or back in? any tips...

dave_90_blazer

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
that should be a one piece rear main, hardest part is getting it out

pull trans, pull flywheel/flexplate, now the fun part, I have had luck drilling a real small hole in the steel shell of the old seal, then threading in a screw, then prying on the screw with 2 pry bars until the seal pops out

bigburban383

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
You take off the trans, flexplate, and you got to drop the only pan. Then unbolt the part that holds the seal and replace the seal, you probably need a new gasket too. Be very gentle when putting it back on, use assemble lube or atleast some oil on the seal when you reinstall. Like above, I guess you can try and do what he said so you wouldn't have to drop the oil pan and buy a new pan gasket. Good luck.

4xcrazy

3/4 ton status
Reaction score
If it's a one piece seal you don't need to drop the pan, i replaced mine without dropping it when the trans was out, i simply tapped mine out, got it to where it wasn't straight and just kept tapping and pryed and it popped out. Then oiled up the new one and reinstalled it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

bigburban383

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
[ QUOTE ]
If it's a one piece seal you don't need to drop the pan, i replaced mine without dropping it when the trans was out, i simply tapped mine ont, got it to where it wasn't straight and just kept tapping and pryed and it popped out. Then oiled up the new one and reinstalled it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn, that blows /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

pauly383

Daddy383
Reaction score
I think there may of been some leftovers installed, but for the most part 86 was onepiece seal. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

Top Bottom