CK5 Network
Repairing, restoring or modifying your ride just got a whole lot easier!

rear springs in the front for 4 in

jacksprat1599

Registered Member
Reaction score
In another post someone mentioned using factory rear springs in the front for a cheap 4 in lift.wouldn't this be really stiff because of the load carrying capacity of the rear springs? is the overload removed or flipped?are the springs the same length? I am interested in this but would like to hear from someone who has done it and if they like it.sorry for all the questions and yes I used the search function first to no avail.

big83chevy4x4

3/4 ton status
Reaction score
i haven't done it but plan to, and have researched it quite a bit.
the front springs are 46 or 47" and the rear are 52" so you will have to move the front srping mount.
the front axle will be moved forward 2" from stock.
the ride would be softer because the springs are longer and the front lift springs are stiffer than the stock rear springs
not sure on the overload, some use it some don't

this is all i can help with now. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4xcrazy

3/4 ton status
Reaction score
If he's talking about his '89 Burb, then he has most likely got 56" rear springs, would probably just be better off getting a complete spring lift kit.

alaskanbowtie

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
I was told by one of the guys here on the sight that stock springs will work but give you the forward 2" on the axle and the ones that I measured on my blazer were the same length so you don't have to move the spring hangers forward from what I can tell. But it may be different on a Burb. So yes it's an option! There was another guy who put rear 4" springs in the front and it gave him 8" and a nice soft ride! This is what I'm considering doing! Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

bablazer73

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have 4" BDS 52" rear springs in my front. SUPER soft. I took the overload spring out and added a z-rate. put me at just over 8" lift.

Sandman

3/4 ton status
Author
Reaction score
I have stock rear Blazer springs on the front of mine. The springs are 5" longer then the regular stock front springs. Moving the front hanger forward 4" (easy to do) lets you put them in and moves the axle forward 2". I left the overloads in and it rides much smoother then the Tuff country 6" easy rides that were in there. I ended up with 4.5" of lift and I'm happy with it. Flexes great also.

flex1.jpg

HD

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Sandman, that looks so cool. It makes me want to go right out and do that to my truck. Thanks for post that pic!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Top Bottom