CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Replace door pin and bushings

92yamaha

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been asked, can't find it, but is it possible to replace the door pins and bushings without removing the fender? I can't see a way to access the door bolts without removing the fender, so wondering if anyone had any tricks?

Thanks.

dyeager535

1 ton status
Premium Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been asked, can't find it, but is it possible to replace the door pins and bushings without removing the fender? I can't see a way to access the door bolts without removing the fender, so wondering if anyone had any tricks?

Thanks.

I have a thread about aligning doors I was just dealing with after replacing the bushings, might want to read that to see what ideas have been floated.

I just unbolted the door hinge from the door and removed the hinge pin after the door was removed. (after getting the PW/PDL wiring out)

Ideally, if the doors are aligned properly, I think the best thing to do (if even possible) is cut the hinge pins without unbolting anything, remove them, pull the door, install the bushings, "hang" the door, then drive the new hinge pins in. I've seen videos with the hinge pins installed upside down on other GM vehicles so they could be installed with both hinges in place.

It appears there is no super easy way to line up a door after removing the hinges, so if there is ANY way to do it without loosening the bolts on the door or the body, that is the way I'd go at it.

92yamaha

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well sh1t. haha. I have a friend coming over in a few minutes; we'll just remove the front clip and get to work, then. Thanks for the info.

K30Blazer

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Lol. Try lining all this stuff up after you have rolled the truck. I have become a master at hanging doors

RAY

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I did this a while back. I think I cut the old pin with a sawall to remove it and unbolted the door instead of removing the fender. It was a pain getting the door realigned

dyeager535

1 ton status
Premium Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Well sh1t. haha. I have a friend coming over in a few minutes; we'll just remove the front clip and get to work, then. Thanks for the info.

I just went out and pulled the front fender to get at the hinge bolts on the pillar. You can't adjust everything from one side (door or pillar) or it ends up binding the hinge, and probably why mine wore out as quick as it did, being the passenger door. With the front fender off (don't need to remove the inner) you can access the majority of the hinge bolts to loosen/tighten as you adjust it when it's closed. Remains to be seen how well it lines up at the fender since I have to put it back on, and if the door is too far forward, it will hit the fender when it opens. The paint stirring sticks seem to be the right thickness to set the height of the door.

I ran a tie-down strap over the truck from the hitch to the front edge of the hood to keep it up when I unbolted the hood spring on that side.

wheels87k5

24 Karat
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I guess I'm at a loss here. It doesn't take that much to remove the fender. Even with a second battery on the driver side. Maybe it's because I've removed the fender so many times that it doesn't seem to be that big of a deal. I was able to remove both fenders and batteries to align the doors in less than 4 hours by myself. Is there something attached to the fenders or wheel wells that make it that much more of a bothersome? Not trying to be a pain. Maybe your're trying to do this in a short period of time. Which usually doesn't happen. It's going to take some time no matter how you decide to go about it.

92yamaha

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm at a loss here. It doesn't take that much to remove the fender. Even with a second battery on the driver side. Maybe it's because I've removed the fender so many times that it doesn't seem to be that big of a deal. I was able to remove both fenders and batteries to align the doors in less than 4 hours by myself. Is there something attached to the fenders or wheel wells that make it that much more of a bothersome? Not trying to be a pain. Maybe your're trying to do this in a short period of time. Which usually doesn't happen. It's going to take some time no matter how you decide to go about it.

I totally understand where you are coming from, however, I had to clear the entire interior and 3 dashes, a stereo receiver, pesticides, etc. off the hood before I can remove it (a lot of things get piled onto projects when they're in the garage). I'll just do it right since I have it all cleaned off now and all the help I need.

Top Bottom