Replacing Quarter Panels-Tailgate Posts and Tail Light Backing Plate

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by ZombieK5, May 31, 2020.

1. Chevman88

Chevman88 I don't know what I'm doing Premium Member

Following. I need to do my tailpan and posts, but not looking forward to it.

2. ZombieK5

ZombieK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    I am set to do the Tailpan next. It has to be replaced before I can put the donir quarter panels in. Stay tuned. Full photos along with my Do's and Don't.

Along with that I am replacing the entire bad flooring.... That will he interesting/challenging.

BlackHog Blazerr likes this.
  3. imiceman44

imiceman44 Hoarder extraordinaire Premium Member

Build(s):
    :pimp:

4. BlackHog Blazerr

BlackHog Blazerr Registered Member Premium Member

Build(s):
    10-4 Copy that

5. snipepod

snipepod Registered Member Premium Member

Doing a rust repair on my 76K5. Assessing how to approach replacing inner wheels wells now. I got so much rust, that many of the attachment points from part to part are hard to evaluate. All the bolts that attach the wheel wheel housing to the inner wheel wells came out fine. First question I have for the K5 folks. The original inner wheel wells are stamped as part of the inner bed walls on my 76. Each bolt location has a "weldable" bolt. Does anyone have advice on weldable nuts, or other way to bolt the inner wells to the well housings?

Also, I also have been waiting for LMC to restock the driver side inner post tail backing plate for months and months. Looked on the website tonight, and for the first time it was "in stock" Yea ha. ordering ASAP

CK5_pic1.jpg

6. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Build(s):
    Is this related to rear quarter panels, or are these the front inner wheel wells (i.e. new thread)? What you're showing doesn't look too terrible. I would sandblast that, coat it and re-use, versus waiting to get questionable aftermarket parts...

7. snipepod

These are inner fender inside rear qtr panels. Just want to get advise on installing weld nuts, and where do people get weld nuts. The new picture show the top of AMD patch panel. You can see, they just punch a hole where the weld nuts would normally be.

CK5_pic2.jpg

8. snipepod

Related to replacing the tail pan and posts. Before I removed the rear tail gate, I was aware that the vertical gaps between tailgates and posts were not consistent when the tailgate was up and locked. The gaps were wider at the top, than the bottom. The previous owner had to add fender washer shims under the upper tailgate lock to compensate for what appeared to be a spreading out of the tops of tail posts over the years to get the tailgate to lockup properly (see pictures). I always thought that there was a sagging problem with the severe rust of the tail pan and tail posts. The rebuild would be the opportunity correct what I thought was a sagging issue from rust. Today I measured the box at 4 points, and discovered that the main rails were nice and parallel, front to back (dim A & B). But the tops of the post were 3/8" wider than the bottoms (dim C & D). This explains the gaps I saw with the tailgate installed and locked in the up position. I would appreciate it if others could measure their box rails at the points you see in my attached photo. Would greatly help me in figuring out if and how I should correct my K5. Cheers!

20200907_192705.jpg

20200907_192719.jpg

Box Dimensions.jpg

9. BlackHog Blazerr

Build(s):
    I took some of those same pictures before I started my rebuild here couple of pictures for you to reference hope you can see well enough ,Not the greatest pictures
    7F92BDED-A485-49C9-A92E-A149857E6DEC.jpeg 15C5C48E-4673-410B-A094-28756A97B470.jpeg EF71103A-E696-4091-BFC7-F0E322156E88.jpeg

10. snipepod

Interesting. Our measurement at the floor level is almost exactly the same. Do you recall if the separation at the top of the post was larger? Or do you remember if the gap between the vertical edge of the tailgate "when folded up" and the post got wider near the top? Thanks

11. BlackHog Blazerr

Build(s):
    I think it was wider at the top , I am looking for pictures, I had a different camera on those pictures.

12. BlackHog Blazerr

Build(s):
    Looks a little bit wider

D3703039-95D6-4E24-BC89-6DA4DC2935BA.jpeg

13. snipepod

If I'm reading your measurement correct, it looks like about 66 1/4" at the top. I can't tell if the other end of the ruler is anchored to the inside post edge, but if it is, you have a bigger top-to-bottom spread than I'm dealing with.

14. BlackHog Blazerr

Build(s):
    Yes sir I do that’s why I’m replacing Tall pan and all floor pans front and back because rust is my issue