Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Restoring Dash Bezel

Discussion in 'Interior - Stock & Custom' started by vegasblazer90, May 19, 2015.

1. vegasblazer90

vegasblazer90 Registered Member

Has anyone successfully restored or replaced the stainless inlay on their dash bezel? I'm in the process of restoring the interior of my 90K5 and want to replace the inlay as the bezel is in good shape, physically. there is a tiny crack on the top right corner of the radio portion but its barely visible. The stainless portion though, has 'streaks' starting to show all round it (for some reason I'm unable to upload the pictures to any hosting sites to show what I'm talking about).
    I thought about going the billet overlay route but I'm not certain I like that look very much, plus LMC doesn't seem to sell it for a 1990.
    I was thinking of peeling the inlay off very carefully, trace it out and see if my buddy who owns a print shop can have something cut with his laser cutting machine, maybe a stainless type sticker?
    Is there somebody that already offers something like this??

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. JOES89K5

JOES89K5 Registered Member Premium Member

I'm replacing my dash pad to OEM after market replacement. I just purchased new dash panel molding and emblem. Never seen molding material available. But if you purchase new molding get emblem and fasteners. Its more work but the replacements look nice.

3. steve zimmerman

steve zimmerman Registered Member

I was thinking about using the sticker that looks like the one i had in my 75' trans am looks like metal

4. rpcraft

rpcraft 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    I doubt the stuff in the dash is actually stainless knowing GM, unless a PO put in one of those kits. I'd make sure it isn't one of those glued in appliques. That might explain the streaking if so, otherwise if it is one of those stainless blanks you can probably peel/pull it off, find you some more of the 3m adhesive strips, stick it face up on something and polish it with a buffing wheel, and then use some more of the 3m adhesive to stick it back on the dash cover.