Rubber Floor

Discussion in 'Interior - Stock & Custom' started by K5Devil, Dec 30, 2019.

1. K5Devil

K5Devil Devil Status Premium Member

Build(s):
    Has anyone got a bulk rubber sheet like used in horse stalls, pond liner etc., and used a heat gun to mold it to the floor themselves?

Asking since I am not sure how thick of material will both be strong and then malleable with a heat gun.

Found some really cool looking diamond plate mat that comes in many thicknesses still cheaper than buying a molded one from LMC etc.

Haven’t done this myself with rubber but in every car I’ve done I bought bulk carpet and laid it out myself as I can’t really justify spending extra money for a couple hours worth of work. Plus the job usually comes out looking better with a better fit in my experience anyways.

065E3FBE-525E-41F6-8D17-9F764FB5388F.jpeg

2. Alan2smiley

Alan2smiley I'm in the shop Premium Member

Build(s):
    I put rubber roofing in my CC. it's okay, never tried a heat gun to make it flexible. It has seams that over laps and adhesive. Probably lots of different grade of rubber roofing material.

K5Devil likes this.
  3. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Build(s):
    I have horses and have cut and trimmed those 1/2" thick stall mats to fit a stall, they would be a PIA to heat and mold into shape and too thick.

K5Devil likes this.
  4. imiceman44

imiceman44 Hoarder extraordinaire Premium Member

Build(s):
    Well maybe not the 1/2" thick ones but the thinner ones like 1/16" or 1/8".
    I agree with you, I don't like to buy premade parts that I can make for the fraction of the cost.
    I am very frugal and I like the idea of custom work.
    I haven't gotten to that stage yet but when I do I will be looking for something simple and cheap

K5Devil likes this.
  5. K5Devil

K5Devil Devil Status Premium Member

Build(s):

I’m surprised there isn’t a write up for this. Why give LMC and ACC money when it can be done for a fraction of the cost?

I found this diamond plate 1/8” thick rubber mat.

my plan is to lay it in the truck and use a roll pin used for Formica countertops and a heat gun to mold it to the floor. Working from the trans tunnel out as to let gravity help with the process.

1F0F19C7-1DF6-480F-A6A8-C054263D4BA5.jpeg

530BLAZER likes this.
  6. HankScorpio

HankScorpio Customize everything Premium Member

Build(s):
    I bought the molded one from LMC for my crew cab and was disappointed. The material is real nice, fitment was terrible. Ended up having to take a heat gun to it anyway which is BS since it was expensive. Be careful with the choice of flooring. I used some ribbed "rubber" floor runner in the back of my K5. I tried to stretch it with the heat gun with poor results. I think it is more of a vinyl than rubber, doesn't stretch at all.

K5Devil likes this.
  7. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status Premium Member

The horse stall mats are very thick (3/4" I believe) and I would n't want them in my vehicle. They are recycled rubber and they give off some bad fumes. I've had 6 of them in my shop gym for the last 3 months and the smell has not let up. Hoping it's not going to kill me while working out

K5Devil likes this.