Rust Repair - Passenger Side

creature

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Got a nasty rust panel to clean up. Question is what would this panel be called and is it replaceable? Or do I have to just patch it up with sheet metal?

I know, it ain't very pretty.

full

ZombieK5

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
WOW, That is a really unusual place for severe corrosion. How did that happen? Was the cab seal leaking? Is there a hole in the roof somewhere?

I'd be concerned about how water got that far up into the roof.

I am in process of replacing nearly every steel panel and body part in my K5 BUT I don't have to fix those panels. I know from searching the entire internet and every squarebody catalog out there that those panels are not available aftermarket. I'd say you can

1) Fabricate your own panels. Those do not look too difficult.
2) Find a K5 being parted out an see if the seller will let you cut out those panels from the parts truck. Can't hurt to ask. IF you find a donor K5, I'd cut out MORE than you seem to need based on the photo. The rust you see will probably extend much further upward.

Good luck and can't wait to see what you do!

creature

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion, yeah I’ve got some work to do here. The other spots in the floor are fairly small, about 5 of them, this is the worst. Only known when I pulled it all apart. Not a hole in the roof that I can see, but will check closer. Guess I’ll have to find a junkyard to see if I can scalp this part.

ZombieK5

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion, yeah I’ve got some work to do here. The other spots in the floor are fairly small, about 5 of them, this is the worst. Only known when I pulled it all apart. Not a hole in the roof that I can see, but will check closer. Guess I’ll have to find a junkyard to see if I can scalp this part.
Junk yards are good but you do alot of searching. I have found a TON of K5's on Facebook Marketplace that are being sold for parts only. I am in the Philly area and there are at least 5 within 50 miles of me that are being parted out.

Last edited:

Joel Wilson

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Jealous of the O shit handles. My Jimmy doesn't have those yet. I've got some rust at the passenger floor pan where it meets the door. I got my metal from LMC Truck, but I am not sure if they had metal for the pillars.

Joel
norcal

ryoken

Puppy Fabricator
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
how are the rest of the jambs? any signs in the seams? up that high always gets me concerned.. not horrible patching area if you can't find a doner... but as mentioned, very unusual spot.. i would think any rig in a boneyard would have that stuff in good shape... no such yards here in jersey anymore....

ZombieK5

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you have not found the cause of your rusted B-pillars, I may have. I spent the day salvaging parts from a K5. I cut out the B-pillars which had some exterior rust near the roof. Once the cab was removed we found major rust holes. Be sure you check the space between the roof and the back cab.

20210321_110046.jpg

20210321_110054.jpg

The_Tomato

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you have not found the cause of your rusted B-pillars, I may have. I spent the day salvaging parts from a K5. I cut out the B-pillars which had some exterior rust near the roof. Once the cab was removed we found major rust holes. Be sure you check the space between the roof and the back cab.

View attachment 372323

View attachment 372324
I have a few of these dastardly little suckers forming on my truck, scary to see how much damage they can cause. I guess a cheap welder and some sheet metal working tools are being added to my harbor freight wishlist :D

frankin5

Super Mall Crawler
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think it is time to remove the top and see what is going on. I would also be checking the bottom of that B pillar inside and under neath for more damage.
The top will have to be removed to facilitate that repair anyways.
edit Look at the bottom of B pillar in photo from ZombieK5 above.

Last edited:
Top Bottom