Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Rust repair

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by stallion85, May 5, 2004.

  1. stallion85

    stallion85 1/2 ton status

    Jul 11, 2003
    Likes Received:
    Cedar City, UT
    I am planning on doing some rust stoppage this summer as a project. What tools and supplies will I need? Does anyone suggest any literature on this job or is it pretty simple. I need to know what kind of grit sandpaper and what wet sanding is? Any help would be appreciated /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
  2. rjfguitar

    rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

    Aug 28, 2002
    Likes Received:
    Well 120 grit over the first time if there is some serious rust and 320 for the final sanding. Far as I know wet sanding is just keeping everything wet as you sand, why I don't know.

    A good rust preventer would be POR15, IMHO.
  3. 75-K5

    75-K5 3/4 ton status

    Apr 28, 2002
    Likes Received:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Where on your truck will you be doing this? Is it just surface rust? For a cheap fix, sand or wire brush it down to metal and use some of the Rust-Oleum rusty metal primer (it's kind of a rusty red color on the cap), then put a coat of good paint over it, preferably Rust-Oleum as well. POR-15 works well too, but is more expensive. I think with a good coat of rust control paint you should be fine since Las Vegas probably doesn't have much of a problem with new rust forming. Wet sanding as far as I know is mainly for a nice shiny paint job and usually only done when you're painting an entire panel or other large area. It is done using water and some insanely high grit sandpaper, like 1200 or so. It just takes a small coat of paint off the top to sand out the imperfections and give it a shiny luster, much like polishing compound.

    If it were me I'd just use the Rustoleum rattle can stuff. I painted the front part of the frame of my c20 with it under the engine and the core and rad support, and it has lasted all winter without any topcoat and without so much as starting to rust, and this is Indiana, so I'm sure you'll have good luck in dry ol' Vegas.

    Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif
  4. big pappa b

    big pappa b 3/4 ton status

    Jan 3, 2003
    Likes Received:
    Falcon, Colorado
    Check out this forum Autobody store.com You can search there for all your questions on how to /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
  5. spearchucker

    spearchucker 1/2 ton status

    Nov 17, 2003
    Likes Received:
    Bay area, CA
    Wet sanding is used to take off the 'orange peel' on either the base coat, clear coat, or both depending on how nice you want it to look. You use anywhere from 1000 grit to 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper. Basically you keep the surface wet with water from a spray bottle and use a rubber block with the sandpaper wrapped around it. This is all hand rubbed, because if you use an electric sander you'll go right down to the primer before you know it. Since wet sanding leaves a dull appearance, you'll need to follow that up with rubbing compound using a buffer, followed by a finishing compound, and to top it off a good polish with some Carnuba wax. Trust me, alot of work. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif It takes forever on something the size of our vehicles. When I powdercoated my truck I wet sanded the entire thing. I stopped keeping track after 80 hours. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif And once you commit yourself by doing one panel you must do the rest because the difference will show.
  6. JK5

    JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

    Jan 31, 2002
    Likes Received:
    Norton, Oh
    A DA sander, 5" hand grinder and air compressor....
    are the more common tools for me...

    A DA sander (orbital sander)...is great for..
    Feathering and sanding..and some have lite grinding capabilities...
    The sandpaper I use is 40#,80#, 220#
    40-for grinding/stripping/body filler
    80-stripping/feathering/body filler

    There are 2 types of wet sanding....
    Blocking and color sanding..

    Blocking used on primers..mainly...utililzing a foam or felt block...with 180-320 sand paper.
    I block sand all feathered edges and body work...

    Color sanding is for top coats...
    Cleared paint jobs mainly...
    for orange peel, dirt...and flat show finishes..
    I use 1200# the most...with a soft hand foam pad..
    Then I buff the scratches out with my Makita.

    All wet or dry sandpaper needs to be pre-soaked with water...
    Just throw some in a pail...an hour or 2 before you start.

    Have fun!!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

Share This Page