s10 blazer 4x4 to zr2

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekquistk5, Aug 15, 2006.

1. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Well Zr2.com is no help, they denied my acess to post because I do not have a zr2(no picture). I was wondering if you can take zr2 IFS parts and put them on a non zr2 blazer to lift it a little. TJ(big83chevy4x4) thinks the frames are different, but can anyone conform this for me. The rear shouldn't be a problem, the front is what I'm not sure of. I should be getting a 99 blazer for very cheap from my parentals, and kinda want to make it a dd/ weekend warior. Trying to fit 31-33's...

2. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    I don't know if the frames are different. I know the zr2 had a way wider track width than a stock s10 I am thinking the front of the frames are different cause you can't use a normal s10 lift on a zr2

3. BadBob

BadBob 1/2 ton status

The frames are substantially different. The rear axle is also 4" wider on the ZR2.

4. jekquistk5

Build(s):
    Well it looks like I'll have to just crank the Tbars and get longer shackles for now, then save up for a lift or do SAS right of the bat..... Hmmm I do have a spare front 10blt:rolleyes::rolleyes:

5. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

The frame is quite different. That's where the lift and front track width is created.

You'd get a similar look by running conventional offset wheels, adding a body lift, and cutout flares.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

zr2 rear leaves will provide lift on a standard s10 but have a lower load capacity(quite a bit lower if I remember right)

7. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

When we were dissecting our S10 for SAS, I was brewing some ideas about a home brew lift. It involved swapping the torsion bars, left to right, right to left. I think it would give you about 3-4" of lift. Then alignment would be the only issue, you could probably look into a ball joint flip or something. Or you could buy some used A-arms. Oh wait....I still have a superlift kit laying around here too....:deal:

8. jekquistk5

Build(s):
    well I'm not going to buy anything until I buy the blazer... I really dont want to do the body lift b/c everyone says it looks retarded b/c the frame hangs soo low. We shal see when the day comes, I was just tossing arround ideas. Its not the zr2 look i'm too worried about, I just hate the small azz tires on it. I want it a little taller, with some good tires, so its capable off road. I do want it to not look like a hack job though b/c I will be driving it everyday

9. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

do a sfa, it can be cheaper than buying a lift, and you can get a good amount of lift out of it, i just got a s-10 sitting on a sfa and with 4 inch springs it is at about 10 inches of lift

10. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

WTF??

11. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Well it's hard to do a SFA without going with a lot of lift. I think our's came out to 13-14" of lift, which is good for about the 35-38" tire range. Sounds like he'd like to keep things fairly mild though.

12. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

They are 5-leaf as opposed to 3-leaf on most S10 models.

13. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Hmm, we've got some 3 leaf ZR2 springs in the back of our SAS project. I don't know what era S10 they're from though.