Saddle stand

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by chris85, Dec 7, 2019.

1. chris85

chris85 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    We got any saddle hunters out there? Just got access to about 350 acres of thick hardwoods and pine and I’m looking at the saddle for mobility. There are good trees around for my climber, but I like that with the saddle I can climb almost anything that’ll hold my weight.

I’m a bit turned off that they cost just as much as a climber or lock-on but it might be worth it for its abilities to be compact and mobile. I walk everywhere so the lower weight is also beneficial.

2. lamberthkp

lamberthkp Deo Vindice Premium Member

I have looked at something similar for turkey hunting but never pulled the trigger on one. I ran across a little seat that straps to a tree and swivels at a pawn shop...so that's what I went with.

Seen the videos using them out of a lock on stand or similar swinging around to get a shot. I just don't think I would be comfortable with that. The light weight was what had me checking them out to. I still use my old summit viper during deer season.

3. chris85

Build(s):
    I went ahead and got one. It is great for walking/scouting and setting up on sign, but there is a learning curve. You just have to fine tune your setup and climbing method in order to be quiet and quick getting up a tree. Learning this on a hunt is not the best time to do it. If anyone were thinking of getting one I’d say wait till off-season to get it and spend that time practicing. It will save you a lot of frustration. Other than that I cant complain. I like it. And I feel safe and secure in the tree. Today the wind blew my tree so i hard I thought we both were going down.

lamberthkp likes this.
  4. lamberthkp

I find one on sale this year it will probably come home with me. Kinda want to try it in some of the thickets where I hunt that a climbing stand doesn't work well.

The wind was awful here today too. I had to wear clear glasses to keep my eyes from watering so bad.

5. chris85

Build(s):
    I bought mine on sale. I have a trophyline. It’s ok, I just wish it had some more adjustability. Might sell it off and get an aero Hunter or the Yarak. It’d be good in the thickets just watch those vineyards trees. They’re kind of a pain to try to climb.

lamberthkp likes this.
  6. chris85

Build(s):
    Oh, if you do decide to get one get a platform too. I don’t have one at the moment but it’s on order. I think it will be a game changer when I comes to comfort. The saddle isn’t uncomfortable but after a couple hours you do want to stand and adjust or just stand for a few min. I can’t do that with my current setup.

7. lamberthkp

Okay. I meant to ask if you had a platform to use with it. My wife's family got me a gift card for Christmas... think I figured out what to do with it.

8. chris85

Build(s):
    I ordered the Ridge Runner. It looks to have the biggest footprint out of them, which is what I want. Some others are more compact and lighter but a few ounces in weight won’t make much difference for me.

I’m using the wild edge steps too.

lamberthkp likes this.