Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Seat recommendations?

Discussion in 'Interior - Stock & Custom' started by Mastiff, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm starting to think about new front seats for the K5. I'd like something just a bit more comfortable, with some side support so I don't feel like I'm sliding off at turns. I'd like to not lose the sliding and tip forward functions and would, of course, prefer not to spend a fortune. I'd also like to have it be bolt in if at all possible. I guess I've asked for everything... I don't need/want any motorized nonsense or heat or anything like that. Also, no race harness stuff, just factory seatbelts or something along those lines. I'm also a fairly small guy if it matters.

2. K85 Octane

K85 Octane Tacklin' Fuel Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    If you can weld, the possibilities are endless. I like my WRX seats. But I welded up a base for them that bolts into factory holes. I have tilt and slider.

3. Mastiff

So nobody makes anything bolt in? I went to mastercraft.com and under "shop by vehicle" there was a drop-down menu with one thing in it: "Jeep". Gimme a break.

4. riflerk20

riflerk20 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I took a set from a 95ish wrangler. Had to make some brackets to mount them. Comfy and still easy access to the back

5. doubletrouble

doubletrouble 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I think Corbeau makes mounts for the K5's.

6. longbedder

longbedder 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have '07 Silverado seats in my K5. They're great.

Mechanical sliders, mechanical tilt, built-in seatbelts (so no worrying about adapting the originals). Comfy and as close to "bolt-in" as you'll find for a not-actually-K5 seat. I also like the center console and cupholders.

If you were to check the classifieds, you miiiight just find someone who has some for sale. :whistle:

seats_installed.jpg

PWagon, CrpMag122, Crashz28 and 2 others like this.
  7. Mastiff

Interesting. What did you have to do to get them to fit? And how does a built in seatbelt work? In your pic it still looks like they are attached to the floor and pillar. Or is that the old one still, looks like there's an extra.

8. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Same seats I'm gonna put in my blazer

9. longbedder

longbedder 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The built-in ones have everything self-contained (reel, belts, buckles, everything). I never did take the old ones out (I'll get to it one of these days).

You simply drill some new holes in the floorboard, make some backing plates so there's more than just sheetmetal (I just used 1/4" mild steel with a hole drilled thru - big thick washers would also work). The frames fit over/around the hump just fine, and the height is good (i.e.: no seat frame modification required). Put old bolts in the old holes just to seal them up. Bam!

10. Rooster53

Rooster53 Registered Member Premium Member

1995 k3500 Seats...the brackets were almost an exact fit. I lined up the rear holes on the brackets with the original holes in floor and only had to drill new holes in the front of the brackets. Both are wired up with power lumbar. The passenger side is manual slider but the driver side is power everything. Super easy and super comfortable

20160512_172320.jpg

Ripcord likes this.
  11. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Gmt800 seats for me. 2001 Silverado. You must reinforce the floor top and bottom as having the seat belts as part of the seat means a lot of stress if you hit something. If you don't , you and the seat will go for a ride into the steering wheel. It's not hard to do.

[​IMG]

12. Peterbiltman

Peterbiltman Newbie Premium Member

I Just PURCHASED seats from a 2013 tahoe will those be able to work with my 86?

13. ZooMad75

Build(s):
    I'm sure they can fit. I've sat in what seems like a thousand of those seats at work and they are comfy, just haven't really looked out the mounting footprint in comparison to the squarebody floor. The 2013 would not have integrated seat belts though if that was what you wanted. Last year for the integral seatbelt was 2006 in the SUV's and 2007 in the trucks. Keep in mind while the '13 seats won't have seatbelts, they might have side impact airbags. You should probably disable them if your seats do have them. I'd have to look in the service manual, but IIRC the side impact inflator module can be removed without tearing the upholstery up. The entire seatback will need to come apart, but the seat cover should be ok after. Leaving them in but unplugged is no guarantee they won't go off as it takes very little voltage to set one off.

14. Peterbiltman

Thanks for the response but do you think the seats will fold up and move far enough for entry to the back? And also 3rd or 2nd row seating for replacing the back seat?

15. ZooMad75

Build(s):
    If anything those seats will be like the ones I have as far as access to the rear goes. It's ok, but not quite like the original seat that can release and move almost to the dash. Still, Where I have mine mounted with the seat all the way forward I can fit through the opening. Tilting the seat back forward gives the most room as the opening at the bottom might be 6-8 inches. But like I said I can fit and I'm not small by any measurement.

As far as the rear seat goes, I think the third row would be the best fit sizewise. The 13 third row seats are two separate seats. The stock way they mount is with latches as they are designed to lift out. Not sure how one would adapt that. I know some have though. Google is your friend here. There is some good tech for late model seats in a k5 over on www.67-72chevytrucks.com that might give some thought starters.

16. Peterbiltman

Thank you very much I will Google away I appreciate your help!

17. PWagon

PWagon 1/2 ton status Premium Member

subscribed

18. frankin5

frankin5 Super Mall Crawler Premium Member

I got a kit off EBAY for my 2004 3rd row seats. They mount to the floor with out cutting holes. You can get the original brackets on line, but you have to cut the floor to mount and weld into place.

19. RubberFloorMat

RubberFloorMat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    Almost anything you get you can build a frame or adapter plate to mount to the original brackets. That's the easiest way.

My 91 had some 05 dodge pickup buckets. I just built a frame with tabs that bolted straight to the factory seat frames. Only sat about .5 above the originals. Pass side didn't fold as far forward but it looked decent. Anything was better than the crappy originals

20. A_STAN

A_STAN Newbie Premium Member

I just landed some leather (heated) Tahoe Front Seats, and a leather 3rd row for 400... at a PnP.... Alot of them out there if youre poking around.

IMG_6896.JPG

AbramJ and PWagon like this.