Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Shimming the PS pump?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dremu, May 17, 2006.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    As part of my hydroboost install I have changed the reservoir, and when I took the pump off I discovered that the bracket was busted, so I did a little welding and what I *thought* was straightening :doah: and ...well, short story, the pump is off kilter, methinks, and whines like a sumb!tch even at idle when bled. :(

I can see how it's tweaked by the old "visual inspection", so it's bad. However, the local Pick-N-Pull had no brackets like mine ('74 big block) and I fear going to the dealer ... so, I think I've screwed the pooch.

I am thinking that I might be able to get the pulley back in line with the water pump, etc by putting a washer behind the bracket ... is this a really, really bad idea, and I should beg y'all to send me a replacement bracket ... or is it doable, d'ya think?

-- A

2. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

perfectly o.k. I have used washers/ shims many times.

3. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

No prob at all. I have made spacers many times to get belt alignment correct.
    EDIT- I am so BUSY AT WORK, I answer posts twice.:laugh: Least I don't PAD.

4. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

No problem at all. My motor has quite a few 1/2" nuts on it for accessory bracket spacers.