CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Shop set up. Organization. Etc.

muddermilitia

ThatTrazerGuy
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I recently moved from Head Custodian to a new job position in my school district, General Maintenance. I'm primarily a mechanic now.

Ive been working alongside the other mechanic in my school district. He's smart and is pretty good at what he does, but he is very unorganized. Stuff is scattered all over the shop. Lots of time is wasted trying to find things.

He has been open to me helping him out in the organization dept. Our shop is 2 bays with a work shop in back and a loft over 1 side. There is an 80 gallon compressor, sand blast cabinet, and some shelving units up on the loft. The work shop area has shelves, a metal work bench with vice, and is primarily the area for small repairs on things like vacuums.

This shop is only 3 years old. A lot of whats in it, is things that were brought over from the old Administration Building.

I'm looking for ideas on shop organization or shop setup. So far, I bought 1 air tool rack from @Deuling . I'm going to ask my supervisor if we can order another one.
I was already looking at the TMR Customs website. What other places should I look that sell things for shops?

My supervisor is on board with improving the shop. Getting different cabinets or shelving or whatever that may be. He knows that Tim the mechanic is unorganized and he knows that with my help, we can make the shop run more smoothly and efficiently.

Here's some pictures of what I'm working with:

1123200959.jpg
1123200958.jpg
1208201508.jpg
0122210800.jpg

The far left side of the shop (side opposite the front end loader) has some metal working tools. I was going to add another air tool rack over there that had just grinders and sanders, etc.

We have a sheetmetal shear and brake sitting in the woodshop, in the corner collecting dust. Nobody ever uses them. I would like to bring them into the autoshop and set them on the left side wall with the other metal work tools.

I'll take some better pictures of the various areas of the shop tomorrow

ktmoutfront

Blazer Bash presented by 3W Fabrication
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
That could be a really nice facility. What will you be working on? It looks like there is a lot of storage already there. Just needs to be used adequately.

muddermilitia

ThatTrazerGuy
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
That could be a really nice facility. What will you be working on? It looks like there is a lot of storage already there. Just needs to be used adequately.
The school district fleet consists of:
10 Chevy 3500HD trucks. Ranging from 2009 to 2020
1 2019 Chevy 3500 HD stake bed truck
2 2011 Ford F550 dump trucks
All of the above trucks have snow plows

1 2019 Ford Transit van
2 Utilimaster step vans (both scheduled for replacement this year)
1 Ford E350 box truck
The 2 supervisors drive a GMC Terrain and a 2500HD Silverado
1 bobcat
1 John Deere front end loader
2 large Toro lawnmowers
3 different aerial lifts
Several trailers.
Then we have all the custodial equipment like floor scrubbers, buffers, vacuums, snow blowers, landscape equipment. We have 14 schools in our district

ktmoutfront

Blazer Bash presented by 3W Fabrication
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
That is a lot for 2 guys to maintain. An orderly shop would be highly beneficial.

muddermilitia

ThatTrazerGuy
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
That is a lot for 2 guys to maintain. An orderly shop would be highly beneficial.
It has been hectic the days following a snowfall, but I love the job so far. Prior to hiring me, they only had 1 mechanic for like the last 10 years. One of the general maintenance men has gotten some training by our mechanic and he does some of the work on the Custodial equipment, so that helps lighten the work load

imiceman44

Hoarder extraordinaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
I recently moved from Head Custodian to a new job position in my school district, General Maintenance. I'm primarily a mechanic now.

Ive been working alongside the other mechanic in my school district. He's smart and is pretty good at what he does, but he is very unorganized. Stuff is scattered all over the shop. Lots of time is wasted trying to find things.

He has been open to me helping him out in the organization dept. Our shop is 2 bays with a work shop in back and a loft over 1 side. There is an 80 gallon compressor, sand blast cabinet, and some shelving units up on the loft. The work shop area has shelves, a metal work bench with vice, and is primarily the area for small repairs on things like vacuums.

This shop is only 3 years old. A lot of whats in it, is things that were brought over from the old Administration Building.

I'm looking for ideas on shop organization or shop setup. So far, I bought 1 air tool rack from @Deuling . I'm going to ask my supervisor if we can order another one.
I was already looking at the TMR Customs website. What other places should I look that sell things for shops?

My supervisor is on board with improving the shop. Getting different cabinets or shelving or whatever that may be. He knows that Tim the mechanic is unorganized and he knows that with my help, we can make the shop run more smoothly and efficiently.

Here's some pictures of what I'm working with:

View attachment 366348
View attachment 366347
View attachment 366349
View attachment 366350

The far left side of the shop (side opposite the front end loader) has some metal working tools. I was going to add another air tool rack over there that had just grinders and sanders, etc.

We have a sheetmetal shear and brake sitting in the woodshop, in the corner collecting dust. Nobody ever uses them. I would like to bring them into the autoshop and set them on the left side wall with the other metal work tools.

I'll take some better pictures of the various areas of the shop tomorrow
From your description I was expecting completely different pictures, I thought these were after pictures.
You don't know what disorganized is :doah:

runamok151

1 ton status
Reaction score
Does your school or the district have wood and metal shops? If so, come up w/ some plans for shelves, racks, storage boxes, etc. and ask the shop teachers to make them for you. It would be a lot cheaper for the school, you get exactly what you want and the kids get experience building to spec.

76zimmer

Flyin Rat
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
looks like the sidewalls have plenty going on, I would make use of some heavy duty shelving units in between the two bays. Also if they’re buying get some Akro bins for all the small stuff.

Top Bottom