Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Side steps: Yay or nay

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by lochenjons, May 6, 2007.

?

Side steps?

1. Screw the side steps

24 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. Keep 'em

6 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. lochenjons

lochenjons 1/2 ton status

I went wheelin the other day and got hung up on one of the side steps on my k5, I kept going and somehow and pulled the step down all kinds. Also dented where my exhaust tip connects to the pipe underneath and tucked behind and below the the rear spring hanger, I have no idea how anything could have got in there but I'm assuming it happened at the same time. I kinda liked the steps because obvioulsy its easier to get in and also it protects the body somewhat. I was going to take them off but now I see its not only bolted on but welded too. I can grind off the welds and still take them off, but I could also bend the step back, wouldnt be as strong but itd work. So should I keep them or not?

Pic (after I pulled it back into place a bit but still way low):
    [​IMG]

2. Currank5

Currank5 1/2 ton status

I just did the same thing on mine. Didnt bend them but they got scraped up a bit. They kinda get in the way so I took them off and am going to replace them with a set of sliders to protect the body.

3. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

rock sliders!

4. lochenjons

lochenjons 1/2 ton status

The votes are 50/50 now. By the end of tommorow or the day after or so or whenever this post dies and fades into dust I'll do whatever the votes say because at this point I really dont ahve a preference either way. I'd probably like to get rid of 'em but that takes work gettinga grinder or something to fit up there, but fixing it back to normal will be hard too

5. lak2004

lak2004 1/2 ton status

Sliders X2

6. lectric80

lectric80 3/4 ton status

You need one more option...Send the steps to me, and then get your rails.:haha: :haha: :haha:

7. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Dump the steps and go with sliders to replace the rockers. Integrate a shallow step with the slider or use a welded chain stirrup that you can pull inside after you get in. nothing low to hang up then.