CK5 Network
Repairing, restoring or modifying your ride just got a whole lot easier!

single key conversion

DwarF

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Is it a simple matter of getting the locks re-keyed to be able to have a single key for both ignition, doors (and tailgate) or is there something more to this?

Fubeca

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
The keyways are different so you can't get the ignition to work in the glove/console/doors. There may be some aftermarket lock sets or ignition locks that would allow you to get everything keyed alike but it isn't possible with the stock stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Beast388

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
You just need to buy an older rig! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif My '71 Burb uses the same key for everything. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

blasterD

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Most military trucks have same-keyed locks and ignition. Maybe you could get a set from one of the surplus dealers.

DwarF

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Nope. I called LMC after this post and found that they don't. I even argued that they must and made Tonya search though all her contacts there to se if it was so. She said they have single key setups for other models, but not the 82-88.

jakeslim

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
i use one key for tailgate and doors. From my experience, all the gm cars i've owned have had a different key for doors and ignition. The round and the square one.

BlackDog714

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
[ QUOTE ]
Nope. I called LMC after this post and found that they don't. I even argued that they must and made Tonya search though all her contacts there to se if it was so. She said they have single key setups for other models, but not the 82-88.

[/ QUOTE ]

My 86 GMC K3500 has a single key for the doors and ignition. The locks use the square key to lock and unlock the doors. It was done by the PO so I dont know how it was done.

Seventy4Blazer

3/4 ton status
Reaction score
look in your phone book for a locksmith.
they can normaly do it.
i know G&T lock in Yuma AZ can do it.
i just ditched the doors for tube doors...
Grant /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

duece21

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
[ QUOTE ]
look in your phone book for a locksmith.
they can normaly do it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ditto, I pretty sure they can do it, prob pricy though. Check around.
Good luck

grd2go

Registered Member
Reaction score
I have found that 73 and some 74 chevy tks had the same ing and door key I used to save them I would have to look this weekend to see if I still have a matching set in the shed both of my plow tks use one key for doors and ing and it is the square key design one tk is a 74 and was like that when I got it my 76 plow tk got its ing and locks out of a 73 tk also check on the early seventys GM cars that had the ing in the colume some of them used only one key. /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

rusty73

Reaction score
Chevy Duty sells matching ignition and door locks but not for the tailgate i don't think.

mofugly13

1 ton bucket of rust
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yep, I bought matching door/ignition/glove box keys from chevy duty, or was it cheyenne? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Anyway, I think LMC sells an uncoded cylinder and blank key for the tailgate, then you can have a locksmith match it to the setup you buy from chevy duty, or was it cheyenne? /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

DwarF

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
I have gone to a tailgate conversion and custom center console, so that doesn't really matter to me. All I really need are the doors and ignition to match. So I will give Chevy Duty a try

Top Bottom