Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SM465 Clutch linkage Question

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Sholti, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Sholti

Sholti Registered Member Premium Member

In this image from LMC Catalog (Page 152); what keeps the grease inside the cylindrical part on the engine ball stud? Should there be a seal before and after the ball (like #10 on the opposite side).
    Also the ball stud on my block is no where near the same diameter of the cylindrical part (it's smaller) so I would guess it wear over time (maybe why there was nothing there when I took it apart).
    Thanks for any comments.

0152.jpg

2. bent72

bent72 Desert Solitaire Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    There is some play on that, but there is always a possibility it has worn.
    Could be just wore out, hasnt been greased much. Sometimes the drivers side engine mount is tired, adds to the wear.

If you look again at the picture, you will see part # 10 listed for each side of the ball

3. ashman

ashman It's not a bronco Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    He's asking about the engine side ball stud. #8 in the pic.

When I removed mine it was all worn out so I'm not much help. Everything just kinda fell out of it in pieces. That said, it still had grease in it, so I'd guess it would be fine.

4. Sholti

Sholti Registered Member Premium Member

I was thinking there would be 2 seals around part #8 (the engine side ball). Does it get hot enough for the (white} grease in there now to melt and just drip out?
    Also I have a 4x4 and the #8 part specifies that it is for a 4x4. Could it be mine is from a different engine or 4x2? (I'd think they would list a different part # if that were possible.)
    One more question, is part #3 the part mentioned in other threads as being "held on" by a spring? I can tell there is movement on the shaft but you can't tell how it stays in place with the parts I have or photos/images I've found.

Thanks

5. ashman

ashman It's not a bronco Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Part #3 is just floating. It snugs up against the hole in the clutch fork with the rod going through the clutch fork to keep it from falling off. You use the nuts #4 and block #1 to put a little tension on the fork and that keeps part #3 from falling off. I think I've seen some rods that were threaded at the end so you could put a nut behind the clutch fork too if you want, but it's not necessary.

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

White grease probably would melt that close to the engine and exhaust pipe--I'd use high temp disc brake wheel bearing grease there..regular chassis grease might be good enough too..

I have seen the clutch linkage ball studs listed in Dorman catalogs,they might be less costly than one from LMC...

I had only two trucks with SM465's and stock clutch linkage,I dont recall the ball stud having any seal,it was probably just felt and long gone by the time I owned them..

I just gave the cross shaft tube that had the grease fitting in it a good pump of grease when I did an oil change and greased the tie rod ends and ball joints.
    I did add a spring between the clutch fork and linkage at the ball stud to hold the rod #2 in place--I had it drop off once on my '72 K5,after I swapped a SM465 into it,and only that once,but didn't want it to happen again at a bad time..the pressure plate I installed twice were 12" Borg & Beck rebuilt 3 finger ones that both failed in less than a month,I think that was what cause the rod to come off..