Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

So how bad is this going to be

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Quackaddict, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Quackaddict

Quackaddict 1/2 ton status

Plan on starting the 3/4 ton swap on Monday. No I am not getting rid of it and while I have the time. I will be doing a 3/4 ton swap and 6 in lift....to include all the fluids, brake lines, zero rate etc.

I will be doing this by myself the directions for the lift say 5-8 hours.......hahahahaha no really. Gonna be a bear but I plan on taking my time and I have all the right tools and I know what I am doing.

I figure 2 full days sounds right?

2. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

i think 5-8 hrs sounds about right.

3. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

5-8 hours for just the lift sounds right. Add 1-2 for moving axles around and figuring some stuff out and taking your time.

4. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

Assuming you have everything you need, and it's your first time, and you have air tools, 5-8 hours.

Otherwise, 2 weeks.

Or maybe I'm just slow...

5. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

X2, I installed a front d60 alone in 2 hours. Took me about 6 hours to remove a 12 bolt rear and install zero rates and a 14 bolt alone. Well, that was including soda(:D ) breaks. Its not hard if everything bolts up, I have air tools but generally only use my hand tools unless im feeling lazy.:laugh:

6. Quackaddict

Now it was partly due to weather problems but it took me 3 days to put a 4" lift on a Bronco (stupid TTB). I hated dealing with all the brackets and air chisel rivets and a air hammer factory bracket off. Never could have done without air tools but I hated that project. That is why I said my next project would be straight axles and leaf springs!!!

Yes I have air tools I generally use them for deconstruction though.

8-10 hours would be nice because I could get that done in 1 day.:laugh:

7. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

one word "Lubricant" soak everything the night before. If you are taking off the original hardware there is no set time frame. put anti-seize on everything new. you will thank yourself for it in the future. Good luck.

8. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

PB Blaster is a god in a can!

9. Quackaddict

yeah I got a can of that stuff sitting in my garage right now.

10. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

It is obvious you all live outside of the rust belt....Be thankful for that. The rust easily doubles time frames for projects like this....

11. Disciples Performance

Disciples Performance 1/2 ton status

subfan has got that right it took me 1 week of givn'r hard everyday after work 5pm - 12am torching old bolts and crap like that ur lucky that you prob wont have to fight that much with that stuff, but like they say LUBE the heck outta everything dude makes a HUGE DIFF! lol

12. SkysTheLimit

SkysTheLimit 1/2 ton status

I just spent 9 hours (with air tools and a friend and lotsa rust) putting a 6" lift on my K5. I only got the rear done. I was using WD40 but have since been schooled on the wonders of PB Blaster / Kroil. I could have done it in a few hours except for 1 bloody bolt which fused to the inner spring eye bushing. If I had a sawzall or a torch, I could have made faster work than using a 3" cut off wheel. :doah: Most things were done with hand tools but air came in handy disassembling.

13. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Doubles :haha: more like quadruples the time needed. I had to cut all of my leaf springs then cut through the spring eyes to get at spring bolts in order to cut them. 5 out of 8 of the bolts had to be cut. Also burn bushing doesn't smell that great :rolleyes:. For my 4" lift it took me about 3 weeks to do. It could have saved me a week had one of the factory spring hanger not rusted out to the point that I couldn't bolt a spring to it. I burnt out my angle grinder cutting the thing out and went through at least 7 cutting wheels on it. And it could have saved me a day had I not needed to drop the gas tank because it was in the way and too close to all the sparks from the grinder.

I had a very fustrating time with the 30 or so years of salt corrosion. Even with my air tools

14. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

there is that four letter word again,,,,,,RUST,,,what the hell is this stuff you are referring too?????????:confused:

:D :p: :rotfl:

15. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

if the spring eye bushings even think about giving you problems, break out the sawzall. blade between the bushing and the hanger, and buzz em off. burn the rubber out of the bushing, and thendrive the outer sleeve out. took me about 20 mins to do the ones off of the 88 C2500 parts truck a month or so ago.

16. Quackaddict

yup she is rust free, I got some sawzall blades just case:laugh: