CK5 Forums

Take a few seconds to register your free account to post topics or questions, and view exclusive content!

So i've got a little rust problem...

konajoe

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
The paint on the cab roof is gone from sitting for 14 years and replaced with this beautiful coating of rust. There's no heavy pitting, just this light coat of rust. Whats the best option for dealing with this properly?

k3500_17.jpg

warrpath4x4

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm not a body/paint guy and I am sure someone who is will chime in but I would say a DA sander and rust bullet or something of the like then paint, I have seen a few guys use a gel coating on their roofs, seals and keeps them cooler in the hot summers (not sure you need that in Mass.)

Coontail

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ahhh a fellow masshole, greetings!

I would hit it with 36 grit on a DA until all the rust is gone then smooth it with 80, then 180.

Spray epoxy primer wet on wet with high build primer. After dried for at least a week, out of the rain, block it out gradually up to 400 grit (600 grit for metallics) and paint it!

If you don't want to put a ton of effort into it, hit it with 80 grit on a DA quick to knock off the loose rust and spray it with a rust converter. After the converter dries overnight, prime it (I would still recommend at least epoxy primer), and paint it. The rust might not come back, though it is the best lazy option imo :waytogo:

Top Bottom