Soldering iron. (Electrical work)

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by beags86, Apr 8, 2019.

1. K85 Octane

K85 Octane Tacklin' Fuel Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    I use a map gas torch. Heats the shrink wrap quicker than propane. Lol

Did both trucks that way. Hahaha gotta plan out where to do your heating aaahahaha

2. skunked

skunked phat block slush machine Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    I solder most everything but my junk is far from a spaceship or a rattle box Harley :rotfl:

Plus I’ve been soldering since I was 5 and was a side job through middle school for me.

3. JoshHefnerX

JoshHefnerX 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    nutt7 likes this.
  4. nutt7

nutt7 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    I also use the blue weller but with the digital dial. Here are some tips to keep your soldering set up working well:

-use flux. I use the paste type. It purges impurities from the metals but also helps the solder melt faster, which will prevent making the insulation melt and prevents solder from wicking too far up the wires which makes it brittle. Also use the flux to keep the tip clean.

-I like to place the tip under the joint and feed the solder to where the wire and tip meet to start, then feed it from the top if you need more. Use google for what a proper joint looks like. It should be shiny and not a blob. You should be able to see the strands of the wire still.

-use a sponge to wipe the tip before and after every joint, and tin the tip when you put it in the holder. The tip corrodes fast if kept dirty and uncovered. Never use anything abrasive like sandpaper or a file to clean the tip. This will work for like one joint and it’ll die even faster after doing so.

-turn it off if you go for more than a couple minutes between joints. Again, constant heat on the tip shortens its life.

-after you’re done, sponge, flux dip, sponge, tin the tip...coat the whole thing. Mine has lasted for years on the same tip with no loss in performance.

-adhesive lined heat shrink works really well to prevent corrosion.

I’m no pro, but I took some classes and just like to solder. I do it in a few different hobbies.

JoshHefnerX, beags86 and skunked like this.