Solid front axle swaparino question... Help me ditch the IFS please!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TruckNutzDude, Aug 29, 2004.

1. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I wheeled the crap out of my daily driver yesterday and realized my stock ZR2 Blazer is quite capable. Unfortunately GM decided to put a balancer on the rear pinion yoke and that ended up being my first broken part. (even before making my first payment /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif) Anyways, I'm really thinking of taking the torch to the IFS front end and swapping in some full size solid axles under my S-series. I figure the parts are cheaper for a solid axle, there are less moving parts to break and less things to wear out. I know I'll void any warranty, but honestly, the warranty I have on my used 60,000 mile truck isn't that great to begin with. My plan is to swap out the electric t-case also since it doesn't work when I need it to. I'm thinking a 208 case and some 10 bolt axles from a full size truck/blazer would work just fine with 33's to 35's and a small lift. How hard would all of this be? Is it worth it? I'm looking around on a few ZR2 sites but I'd like your opinions also since I get most of my ideas from here. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. TruckNutzDude

Actually, now that I think about it... Is the COG forum a better place for this post? If so, can somebody move it for me? I'd hate to have a good post lost in the depths of the Garage in less than a week if it turns up any usefull information for others plauged with IFS'itis /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

3. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Go Full width! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

4. TruckNutzDude

[ QUOTE ]
    Go Full width! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I plan on it. I'm thinking either some 1-ton GM axles if I can find them, a D44/9-inch from a bronco/f-150 or cherokee axles. The ZR2 has good fender flares and is 4" wider than a regular s-10. I measured my 14bolt and the rear s-10 axle (both on stock tires) and came out with a 4" total difference in width meaning I'll be "legal" with stock steel 1-ton wheels. That should be good enough for inspection, or I could just add some fender flares to the fender flares /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif.