CK5 Network
Repairing, restoring or modifying your ride just got a whole lot easier!

Steering arm studs removal?

MTBLAZER89

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I have a set of flat tops I found at the JY already machined drilled and tapped. The machined surface is pretty rusty not real smooth. How do I remove these studs to clean up this surface, or will it be ok the way it is?

Thanks

cybrfire

1 ton status
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I'd say unless its really pitted its probably OK. If you want to remove them though, put two nuts on each stud and tighten together then get your wrench on the bottom one and back them out.

HarryH3

1 ton status
Author
Reaction score
The proper way to remove them is with one of these:
00904458000-190.jpg

Craftsman Stud Remover

1/2 in. drive stud remover. Set, remove headless bolts. Has 5/16 in. to 3/4 in. capacity.

Sears item #00904458000
Mfr. model #4458
$24.99 /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

micah

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
I found plenty of PB Blaster, a healthy dose of tapping on the knuckle with a hammer and a pipe wrench to be the right combination.

k5 krawler 50

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
My dad and i tried using one of those stud removers, but we ended up stripping the little threads on the circlular part, so then we had to cut off the studs and drill them out carefully.

MTBLAZER89

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
So a little rough on that surface will be ok? Just wondering cause I was reading on Sky's site and they said they don't powdercoat their arms because it will leave a cushion between the metals, and I figured it had to be fresh machined /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Seventy4Blazer

3/4 ton status
Reaction score
i think the studs in the D44 are pressed in. beat them out with a BFH or a press.
leave them in and use a grinder with wire wheel, or sand blast them. they may also have a tack weld on the back of them.
Grant

cegusman

3/4 ton status
Reaction score
[ QUOTE ]
i think the studs in the D44 are pressed in. beat them out with a BFH or a press.
leave them in and use a grinder with wire wheel, or sand blast them. they may also have a tack weld on the back of them.
Grant

[/ QUOTE ]

They are not pressed in, He is talking about the one where the steering arm goes. They are screwed in.

Seventy4Blazer

3/4 ton status
Reaction score
yeah, i know what ones he is talking about, but the alst one i had my hands on they were pressed in. BUT it was also just the drivers side. i dunno. ethier way i would leave them in and remove the rust another way. then clean the threads up as well and use extra loc tight.
Grant

84_Chevy_K10

Banned
Reaction score
D44 steering arm studs are certainly not pressed in. That would be absolute suicide, nobody would build a truck that way.

Seventy4Blazer

3/4 ton status
Reaction score
and how would that be suicide? it makes far mor sense to me personaly. beisdes, i know what i saw and i seen waht i know.
im just curious on this one.
Grant

84_Chevy_K10

Banned
Reaction score
It'd be suicide because that is too stressful an application requring too much torque for a press fit stud.

Top Bottom