CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Steering column help. Extra part?

stump_puller

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Replaced the wiper switch on my 85 C10 with non tilt column. I have this extra metal piece now. I remember seeing it just not where.

Thanks.
E74CA6B0-8824-4C9F-9D7E-FEAF15B2D383.jpeg 6FAC7A00-A143-4B7D-9DCA-A60EF8A16CDF.jpeg

6872xtc

make mine modified
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, it goes under the rack, to hold it up against the pinion gear at the end of the key lock. The rack and pinion operate the rod to the ignition switch.
If I understand your post correctly, you swapped out the complete column since the wiper switch was bad, so you would be good if the column is together and operates properly.

anwat

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
He is correct...I just did mine a few weeks ago, and that's where it came from: It fell out when I removed the rack, keeps the two pushed together so the teeth engage.

500$k5

wallet under gas pedal
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
this part actually goes under/beside the key in ignition switch. it is the little plastic piece, with the two copper tangs sticking out, in your picture. You need to pull it out, and put the plastic switch, and the little metal part together, and push them back in.

500$k5

wallet under gas pedal
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
#46 in the last pic, is the part that they are talking about, however, this ISN'T the part that you have in your pic. Look at the pic that you originally posted of the top of your column. You need to pull the plastic part, with the two copper tangs sticking, out of the column, and reinstall the two parts together. I will try to get a better pic for you, so you can install it correctly. Do not take your column back apart, to get to the rack, and gear. It isn't that part.

6872xtc

make mine modified
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
#46 in the last pic, is the part that they are talking about, however, this ISN'T the part that you have in your pic. Look at the pic that you originally posted of the top of your column. You need to pull the plastic part, with the two copper tangs sticking, out of the column, and reinstall the two parts together. I will try to get a better pic for you, so you can install it correctly. Do not take your column back apart, to get to the rack, and gear. It isn't that part.
Well I did say , IIRC.. Whoops.
You're referring to the key in ignition contacts.
Too many days since I was into a column.

anwat

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I thought those two tangs provided power for the horn? Now that you mentioned it, though, I don't have a key in ignition buzzer, so I wouldn't know if it was gone. And if I didn't replace that piece, I wouldn't miss it. Mine is also a tilt column, though, but i don't think that makes a difference.

anwat

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
So is that contact a ground? The one with the tangs sticking out of the column?

500$k5

wallet under gas pedal
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I believe, that it is switching ground. If you open the door, the dome light switch grounds. That ground signal goes up into the column. If the "Key in ignition" switch closes, the ground signal goes to the buzzer, causing it to turn on.

anwat

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Makes sense...although I don't get why they had to make it so complicated. If the signal only needs to go as far as the ignition lock, why do they need all that wazoo engineering...I thought it wa for the horn, because that would need to have a contact that wouldn't be broken as you turn the steering wheel back and forth. Learn something new every day....

500$k5

wallet under gas pedal
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Makes sense...although I don't get why they had to make it so complicated. If the signal only needs to go as far as the ignition lock, why do they need all that wazoo engineering...I thought it wa for the horn, because that would need to have a contact that wouldn't be broken as you turn the steering wheel back and forth. Learn something new every day....
Everything has to go to the turn signal switch wiring harness. Key in ign switch, goes UP to the turn signal switch, and the horn circuit goes from the steering wheel, Down to the turn signal switch. The horn circuit is a spring loaded button, riding on a copper ring, that turns with the steering wheel.

anwat

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think it's probably good that I just leave my horn unhooked. I would probably get myself in trouble if it worked. Teaches me patience.

Top Bottom