Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering problems help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 4x4k20, Nov 14, 2006.

1. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

i have a 79 k30 with an 8 inch lift and a 86 k20 with a 2 inch lift .. both are making poping sounds when you turn the wheel from right to left mostly to the left when its pops i have looked and cant see whats doing it . i can see the left spring flexing a good bit . but i cant seem to find where the pop comes from . has anybody else had this problem that can tell me whats wrong? i am sure someone else has had this problem

2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

sounds like balljoints but being as its a k30 it doesnt have any... could be some loose tie rod/ draglink ends...

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Have you checked the frame behind the steering box? They like to make that sound as the box forces one piece of frame past the other...

4. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Have someone turn the wheels while you keep an eye on the frame where the steering box bolts on. My frame didn't appear cracked and i looked pretty good but when i had a friend turn the steering wheel i about crapped my pants when i seen the steering box pull away from the frame almost 2 inches. :yikes:

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    Plus if you do this you will see what is wrong if not the frame.
    It could be a spring centering pin that is sheared and the axel is moving back and forth on the spring.

7. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Check the pitman arm.I had one come loose and it stripped...

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Build(s):
    I also had noise coming from a pitman. It was the Superlift pitman from ORD, when I installed it I cranked that bolt for all I was worth but still wasn't happy with the spline depth/engagement or how the thread engagement on the nut. When I swapped my Alcan's under the truck I was also checking everything else for loose, missing or busted and noticed the lock washer on the pitman arm nut was not compressed anymore. :doah:

I got about 4 or 5 turns on that nut and now I'm satisfied the pitman arm is correctly seated.

My theory is there may have been a burr on the splines on either the arm or the box not allowing full engagement (until it was driven for a while :crazy: )

Anyways, my mystery clunk is gone now.

Rene