Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Swap from TBI 350 to 6.2L diese... Good idea?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TruckNutzDude, Nov 18, 2005.

?

What would you do?

1. Keep gas engine, use hydroboost brakes and keep spare SM465 + 14 bolt

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Sell TBI setup, engine, transmission, t-case and axles... make some money!

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Keep both, so when you break one truck you can drive the other.

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  4. I just got out of the pool... I swear!

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I have a chance to purchase a cab and chassis w/ a 6.2L diesel, SM465 and 3/4 ton axles (not sure on the t-case, truck is an '83) for $300. My 350 runs fine but I was thinking I might enjoy the diesel engine. I just did a complete tune up for the 350 so I have some money tied up in it, otherwise it's stock minus the new headers and dual exhaust (exhaust should bolt up to the diesel) The diesel seems to run fine and it's complete but it needs new glow plugs (only starts with starting fluid!!! :doah: ) I think, if nothing else, it would be nice to have the spare SM465, 14 bolt and the hydroboost brakes. I should be able to make $300 back by selling the engine and front end if I decide not to use them... right?

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

buy the cab an chassis and sell the truck off minust the dreivetrain. keep it all as spares and then swap in the diesel after a rebuild with turbo.....
    Grant

3. jwglover

jwglover Registered Member

keep the TBI ,keep your spare parts, get ride of what you dont need, first off a 6.2 , the only good thing about a 6.2 even with a turbo, is ......................... wait ,,,,,,, I will remember,,,,,,,,,,,, welll there has to be some reason,,,,,,,,,,
    actually the only good thing about a diesel is very little maintenence.And its definetly not worth a motor swap if you have a good 350 already in there

4. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I thought about it all day at work today and that's pretty much where I'm headed. I was thinking that I could use the hydroboost, four row radiator, cab and some drivetrain parts ( I blew up my front driveshaft yesterday!) It depends on how rough everything is.

I know someone out there has got to need an SM465 trans w/ a good t-case and all the pedals and someone else might want some 3/4 ton axles... :wink1:

5. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

exactly! do what ur thinkin about