CK5 Network
Repairing, restoring or modifying your ride just got a whole lot easier!

T-case Adapter Woes

txfireman110

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Well folks, I have now broken T-case adapter #3 and its starting to get old. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif (broke stock one, took it to machine shop and they "cooked" and welded back. Broke it again, bought one from a Ck5 member, broke it today.)

So sorry for the ranting, what do I do? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Just keep fixing it, or modify/improve? What have yall done?

Also, when I do my one ton swap soon, I'll go to TH400/NP205, does this same setup share the problems of my current TH350/NP205? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
Thank You /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

txfireman110

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
This One (TH350/NP205)
3963TH350_205_ADAPTER_003-thumb.jpg

3963TH350_205_ADAPTER_001-thumb.jpg

m j

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
where is it breaking?
are you using the required gasket on the 205 side?

Beast388

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Does your NP205 have the side mount that connects it the frame? If not, the adapter is trying to support the whole weight of a t-case that is mounted at an angle.

Here is a pic of the side mount.
3669102-0234_IMG_SM.JPG

Seventy4Blazer

3/4 ton status
Reaction score
check your motor and tranny mounts. make sure they are A) serviceable and B) both polly or both rubber.

also the side brace is a GREAT idea. it does help a lot.
another thing is the torque bar that goes from the pass side t-case to the motor to bellhousing bolts. those help as well.
Grant

K1Orion

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Check the condition of your motor mounts and trans mount.
Having one or the other in poor condition could be causing problems. Also maybe try leaving the trans mount bolts a little loose.
Do you have the support arm that goes from the side of the t-case to the bellhousing? That could help.
If you need one, I've got the one that was on my truck before I went manual.

txfireman110

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Thanks for the Replies!

I do have the support rod that goes to the bellhousing, I DO NOT have that nifty looking one that hooks right to the frame, and my guess is that motor mounts are shot. The only tranny mount is the t-case adapter itself.

(i'll get a pic of where its breaking ASAP.

K1Orion

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
I think the "nifty" one is less common than the arm from the case to the bellhousing, I think LMC sells em if you can't find one.

m j

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
replace worn mounts
motor and tranny
or dont tighten the trans mount to much

txfireman110

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Hi Derf,
It was after, I went straight from there to Phantom, and broke it there. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

Derf00

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
You sure everthing is bolted down good, something was banging pretty good when when Matt pulled you out.

txfireman110

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
As far as I know /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gifWhat did the banging sound like? The adapter definitely let go later though. (It makes a rather unnerving banging cause the tail lifts up so high the ears of the driveshaft wack the belly of the body!)

Leadfoot

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
How much slip do you have in your front driveshaft?

I have broken one of those adapters while using rubber motor mounts and poly t-case mounts and truck pulling. Other than that, I have put them through alot of abuse with no side mount or strut bar (as the 350 was replaced with a 700r4 and didn't want to lengthen it) and have not broken it yet.

I have seen a guy break several of them, but it was due to the front driveshaft bottoming out and forcing the case backwards (to look at the driveshaft when it was parked you couldn't tell there wasn't enough slip, but when he started to climb something and flex it bottomed right out).

Just something to look at.

txfireman110

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gifInteresting! I think you may have something there. The adapter does always fall backwards when it breaks and I have to shove it all forward to get it back in line!

Impex

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
i agree with what Leadfoot is saying, on my 465/205 ive broken 2 so far i know now that it is the front drive shaft bottoming out
101_0126.jpg
you can see from the pic, so i had to make some bumpstop extentsions, since i can't afford a long travel spline shaft /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Derf00

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Brandon,

What I was hearing might be unrelated, but might make sense. When you were gettin on it trying to get out and you body was moving up and down, etc., it sounded like you were missing a body mount or two.

txfireman110

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
I'll check and see, could be since I have the body lift and all. Also, I wonder if what you heard wasn't my spare bouncing around in the back? It gets a little wild sometimes with out a mount and the strap I use always works loose after a while.
Thanks for noticing, I'll check the body mounts!

Top Bottom