Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TBI on a modified Engine, now going to Holley Terminator

Discussion in 'The Injection Section' started by Greg Ducato, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Greg Ducato

Greg Ducato 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Thanks!!!

2. Big Ray

Big Ray 1 ton status Premium Member

IMHO, a multi port EFI system would make that motor howl! I have an old Edelbrock TBI to Multi port conversion kit that's going on a NOS L31 crate engine. I have had this motor since '05, so I call it NOS. It converts the throttle body to just an air valve. It's Edelbrock # 3505 if you care to look it up.

TBI was the shizzle over carbs, but nowadays MPFI is the way to go. As I stated earlier, just my humble opinion...

3. Greg Ducato

I appreciate that suggestion Ray, you have a nice little set up there. I have considered buying the newer Holley System to gain a true 4bbl TB and intake with some great tuning software. I could even install a set up like that on an LS engine if the stars aligned that way down the road.

4. Greg Ducato

I pulled the trigger on a new Holley Terminator EFI system, performer intake, fuel system etc. It will use a 255LPH in tank pump and regulator. I plan to use most of the factory fuel lines which should simplify this to some degree. I plan to remove the TBI ECM and wiring and install the Terminator ECM and wiring in it's place. Is there anything this factory computer controls besides the fuel system and trans lockup function? Anything I should be careful of? What turns on the fuel pump in these TBI trucks? Thanks for the help guys.

5. bigblock72

bigblock72 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The original computer doesn't control anything else, so the wiring should be pretty straight forward. If it's a 90-91 then make sure to leave the speed sensor buffer module and wiring intact so your speedo remains functional.

The fuel pump relay is controlled by the ECM and will be easy to wire to the holley computer.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I assume the Holley system controls spark? That was one of the real downsides (IMO) to the early aftermarket systems, they didn't have any sort of spark control. I believe most now have it, just not sure on what you have.

7. Greg Ducato

Yes sir, it uses the factory style distributor either small cap or large cap HEI , it requires an inexpensive adapter harness to the small cap distributor I'm using

76zimmer likes this.
  8. bent72

bent72 Desert Solitaire Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Any updates Greg?

9. Greg Ducato

None of merit, engine is up and running but I have yet to do any tuning on this EFI system. It doesn't run the same from one hour to the next, that is explained to me as "self learning" but maybe mine rides the short bus. Hopefully I will have some glowing evaluations once it is all at peak tune.

bent72 likes this.
  10. prolinews

prolinews 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Any updates?

11. Greg Ducato

After fiddling with this system for about 1500 miles I had enough and pulled it all off. I cant say that the fault was fully with the Holley system, it probably had something to do with the changes made by two different "Tuners" and by my lack of available time and knowledge to constantly change the system settings as problems arose. I had to shelve the Holley system so I could continue to drive the truck due to its erratic nature. I ended up installing a Sean Murphy Q-jet and new GM performance HEI and calling it done for now.

prolinews likes this.
  12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Who did you have work your tune? Not to call them out, more curious if they were experienced with EBL.

It was definitely a problem with the tune or TBI/EBL hardware/software, since you are running a carb now? I don't mean an actual defect, just clarifying it wasn't the engine that had the issue.

13. Greg Ducato

I had several engine issues not relating to fuel injection, the engine actually came out three times for various repairs. My tuners were not hip to the EBL program which is why we switched to the Holley

14. cyclic

cyclic 1/2 ton status Premium Member

EBL will self tune for the most part. Add the right air/fuel sensor and it does a complete tune with a few clicks.

15. Greg Ducato

"Self Tune" .....I have heard a lot of stories of that in the past year:whistle:

16. RubberFloorMat

RubberFloorMat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    did you drive around and let it set all its base parameters? From what Ive seen unless you have a true race only engine combo they learn in less than an hour of driving.

17. Greg Ducato

Gave it over 1000 miles, I can't blame the system, I had too many cooks in the kitchen on this project. It was a classic case of spending too much money and not enough time on research, I should have known better, these were rookie mistakes.

RubberFloorMat likes this.
  18. RubberFloorMat

Build(s):
    sorry to hear that. do you recommend the system? i plan on putting one on after everything else is done that i want to do. basic crate 350 with headers and intake. I was looking at the Fitech first.

19. Greg Ducato

I think it is a good system and certainly flexible. It is more complete than the base FI tech. I'll be selling this one I suspect as I have no older vehicles to swap this onto.

RubberFloorMat likes this.
  20. RubberFloorMat

Build(s):
    let me know what you might want for it?