CK5 Network
Repairing, restoring or modifying your ride just got a whole lot easier!

Tent heater

6.2Blazer

3/4 ton status
Reaction score
Looking for a heater to keep the chill out of the tent during those early spring/late fall overnight fourwheeling trips.

Brands, models, pro's and con's????

gjk5

3/4 ton status
Reaction score
the coleman sportcat is a pretty good product, its a catalytic heater (surface doesn't get too hot, no exhaust) runs about $30-$50 if you want elec. ignition. it stays cool and is sfe for use in tents or vehicles, very quiet and runs on a standard mini propane canister. i've had pretty good luck with mine, in the tent with the wife and two dogs knocking it over. i've had good experience with most of the coleman products, so i would just shop around on the 'net, you may find it cheaper.

Description:
http://www.coleman.com/coleman/SearchResults.asp

BurbLover

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
I've got the Coleman Blackcat & ot works great!! One standard sized propane cylinder will last all night long. Made my tent and my travel trailer (no heater) very warm. I love it. Other than that works just like the Sportcat.

Pookster

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
black cat does tend to get hot- especially at full crank. The outter edge isnt very well protected, and is metal. (keep away from anything flamable or can be melted, like a tent wall.)

Sport cat is a little safer, but puts out less BTU's. Both are very good units, We used two bkack cats in freezing temps. Its hard to tell how warm the tent *Actually* got, because the tent was a 6 person tent with 5 people inside. NOt only that, a summer tent doesnt do much for heat rentention. Especially when your friend doesnt put on the fly cover correctly. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

BurbLover

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
[ QUOTE ]
black cat does tend to get hot- especially at full crank. The outter edge isnt very well protected, and is metal. (keep away from anything flamable or can be melted, like a tent wall.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. I actually set mine on top of my stove, so that wasn't a problem. Don't remember about the time I used it in a tent. I am thinking it melted the floor in a 1"x3" area. Not positive.

scrappy88

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
I'd suggest this one. It's what I use and I like it because it has a low oxygen shut off and a tip over shut off, 2 safety devices I would highly recommend for use in a tent. I got mine at Home Depot. It's a nice heater. I usually keep it on low or else I get too hot.

BurbinOR

3/4 ton status
Reaction score
[ QUOTE ]
I'd suggest this one. It's what I use and I like it because it has a low oxygen shut off and a tip over shut off, 2 safety devices I would highly recommend for use in a tent. I got mine at Home Depot. It's a nice heater. I usually keep it on low or else I get too hot.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the exact one I have for my tent trailer. Had a loaner black cat and like this one better. Cost me $70 last year on sale. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

berg76

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ived used the coleman blackcat. Very good heater. Kept me and 2 friends very comfortable in the mountains of colorado. Placement is key. The outer edge does get hot. One pound cylinder only lasts about 5-6 hours on high setting.

~Jason

Pookster

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
I just went to the sporting goods store yesterday- seems they have an even BIGGER blackcat heater now, that sits upright, looks like it can use two canisters at the same time. It looks heavy enough that it wont easily tilt over.

SS66

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Not to alarm you guys, but 'they' ( whomever they are ) found that catalytic heaters give off some particles of some sort that are linked with cancer. But everything causes cancer so its no big deal /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

bigjbear

1 ton status
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Any idea on how much exposure "They" say is a problem? About twice a year is all I use one for.

SS66

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
I didnt read about specifics. I read this on a forum for people who live in their RV's year round. I imagine you would have to be exposed to it quite often before you are even close to any danger. Even after reading what I read... I wont hesitate to use a caty this year /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Goober

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
I've got an old Coleman white gas heater that works OK but I usually just fire up the lantern for a few minutes and it warms the tent up really nice.

OFFRDK5

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I use a blackcat. Works great. Just have an air vent, unless you like the idea of no oxygen in the air!!

jekbrown

I am CK5
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
go ahead and use the things... take a few pics of it in your tent and keep all your receipts for your camping spots etc... this way if it ever is proven to be really dangerous, you'll be in on the $500,000,000,000 settlement...

lol! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

ntsqd

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
In a really small space they can also generate enough water to make your sleeping bag damp. If they truly burn clean then they produce CO2 and water. A friend had this happen when he slept in his 4rnnr with one running all night. Rolled the back window down and had stalagmites of ice sticking up from the tailgate.

Top Bottom