The future of Blazer Bash

Discussion in 'Blazer Bash' started by ktmoutfront, Aug 1, 2020 at 7:04 AM.

1. ktmoutfront

ktmoutfront GnomeWorks LLC Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    We have all enjoyed what Scott made Blazer Bash into. I have tried to continue the same for the last couple of years. But things are going to have to change.

I am writing this so there are not any ambiguous rumors or fake news as to what is going on. I want everyone to be informed and I like to be up front. This is our event, not my event.

Recently I received notifications that Trail Productions (the 501(c)(4) business name we have been operating the event under since 2009) had not filed tax forms with the state of Colorado. Scott was unaware that Trail Productions was not set up correctly with the State of Colorado and the Feds. He also did not realize that he was supposed to be filing sales tax reports.

My wonderful wife, who I sent to school for accounting, has been working to bring us in compliance. We are done with Colorado and paid the small penalty and Scott is sending a letter to the feds to shut things down from that end. We should not have any repercussions from that. That being said, Trail Productions will no longer exist.

In reference to the notice Colorado recently sent us; it turns out, we were supposed to be charging sales tax on the event runs and t-shirts.

So what Eileen and I have decided to do is run the event through our company after this year.

3W Fabrication will be a sponsor for hosting the event. Nothing will change for the regular sponsors as they could not write off the donations to a 501(c)(4) which is basically a "club" designation. Most sponsors write it off as advertising anyways.

What does this mean for you as a participant? Prices are going up to cover the sales tax of 9.25%. The average cost this year including trails and t-shirts was just under $110. So that would be $120 next year. We are going to stick with round numbers and back the tax out so Scott does not have to create sales tax code in PayPal. Trying to keep it as simple as possible.

What do I get out of it for hosting the event? Many headaches. A lot of sleepless nights. Phone calls for days. And a free t-shirt. I can also write off my fuel. The event has to run as a no profit event or I have to pay income tax on it. And I refuse to pay the government any more than necessary.

Please do not respond with "well my club does it like this". We have found that most clubs are working incorrectly. My wife now works for an accountant. The one third of the clients are non-profit. To get around all of this, we would have to start a new club going through the IRS non-profit process which can take a year and cost a couple of thousands of dollars. Would have annual dues and a minimum of quarterly meetings, with a maintained roster, meeting minutes, voted in board of directors and all kinds of other legal crap. I do not want to deal with that. Paying Tennessee sales tax is already being done through my business and we would just add this on.

Thanks for your time.

2. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Build(s):
    Kudos to you and Eileen for working thru the tax legalities. There's enough to worry about organizing the event you don't need to have the added stress of the tax man come knocking on your door.

the_blaze, Fastereddie, CK5 and 4 others like this.
  3. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Build(s):
    Thanks to you Scott and Eileen for working through this and I agree keep it as simple as possible!

4. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff Jeff's Offroad Emporium Staff Member Moderator

Build(s):
    thanks Wade for keeping this going. and appreciate your wife helping and doing work to keep this going. thanks to Scott for turning it into what it is. I was hoping this year I could finally make it as a participant but looks like that is not going to happen. hence, my ever growing eagerness to retire so I can enjoy life while I can. I have thought about trying to run out there and ride along.

72gmck5, Fastereddie and Bent77 like this.
  5. Babaganoosh

Babaganoosh 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Thank you Wade and Scott, because of you guys I consider a lot of you my friends. I look forward to meet more when I can make it again.

Fastereddie likes this.
  6. nvrenuf

nvrenuf I grind my welds. Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Thanks and props to you guys for keeping the event going! I’ve never been but thanks to everyone’s freebie / unseen hard work BB continues to be a goal to strive for.

I must admit, I was hoping you were going to say the event needed to move to the east coast. :D

7. oatsk5

oatsk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Wade Eileen and Scott thank you dealing with all the back side bs.

8. ashman

ashman What's a pigeonrat?? Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Well, my club does it like this...

Chevman88 and kgblazerfive like this.
  9. ktmoutfront

ktmoutfront GnomeWorks LLC Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    There is always "that guy". Shouldn't you be making a video or something?

Chevman88, ashman and kgblazerfive like this.