CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

the LIFE table build

sweetk30

I build stuff
Premium Member
Reaction score
EDIT UPDATE : this thread was started in the lounge and morphed in to a build thread so I had it moved .

took in a LOT of scrap and got paid good .

then in the corner of the yard i spotted somthing i want bad . . . . .

lets just say i am about to find out how much a 8ft x 12ft sheet of 1" thick A36 plate steel weighs :yikes::doah::screwy:

i will be bringing it home on a roll back truck . . going to cut it in to 4 4ft x 6ft slabs or 3 4ft x 8ft slabs to make a few welding / fab tables .

Last edited:

obijuank5

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Solutions
Reaction score
So theres the weight buuuuuut....
Hoooowwwwwwww much does it cost?

diesel4me

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a "road plate"...
If you drive on the right road around here late at night,and have a truck that can load one of those--you could probably get one free..:whistle:..

Seems many DPW road projects get "milked" for months here,when it should take a week,and they just plop one of those thick road plates over the trench they dig and fill in day after day..often you'll see the plates lying in the ditch next to the construction area...waiting for a new home..

I've seen ones that look never used in scrapyards too,wouldn't surprise me if they scrap them and buy another new one for the next project..but then I see new plow cutting edges,tire chains that never left the burlap sack they came in,and more,in the metal pile behind the local DPW garage too,waiting to be picked up by the scrap company they deal with..but dont expect them to let you have anything ,that would be illegal..:surepal:..

tRustyK5

Big meanie
Staff member
Super Moderator
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
Yeah, if that's Canadian steel you might need to finance it...

sweetk30

I build stuff
Premium Member
Reaction score
the lady at the deask sat said they get $0.25 per lb to sell scrap . . . but i got the head guys biss card and will call him monday and see what kind of deal he can work . . .

and fyi : at 0.25 cents per lb thats around 980.00 bucks . . . i dont want to and wont pay that price . got to make a better deal for me . as i know they pay less for stuff the bigger it is . so there profit margin dosnt need to be this big on this sale if you ask me .

boggerless

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
If i had a thievin bone in my body, i would go with Deisels plan. But, not.. it might just bad timing Wes. Scrapping is a huge money maker around here. I can,t see the yards ( that rip people off) selling it cheap.

Desert_K5

1/2 ton status
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
That's a steel at .25 per pound with the tariff stuff going on.

F.S.F.W

1 ton status
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I’d rather have a situation like this rather than the first two big hauls I took in. Between tires, fuel, and fixing trailer lights because to the blown tires I made enough to pay for half of my lunch. And since I’m hijacking this one I’ll tell you my other story... The local electrical repair company gave me all their scrap for free because it wasn’t cost effective to haul it themselves. I was all for it until I realized that the $1000 worth of copper and steel was more like $250 of coated aluminum wire and a bunch of fluorescent light fixtures with bulbs in them. I was already committed so I loaded up and headed out. The light fixtures were stacked about 4ft high the the width of the trailer, and half the length of the trailer. I cranked down the straps and when I hit the first overpass there was a HUGE explosion and a big white cloud behind me and the stack started to make its way off the trailer. I managed to get stopped before any of them came off though. Lol

diesel4me

1 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
My friend had a similar experience one day,when we went to Home Depot and bought 2 full cases of 8 foot fluorescent light tubes ,to replace all the dead and flickering ones in his shop...

He had a old '73 Dodge Power wagon at the time,and he just put the cases in the bed,and he had a tool box in the bed up front,so they wouldn't lay flat--so he propped them up with a cardboard box and left the last foot or so sticking up over the tailgate..
"It's only a couple miles to the shop--it'll be fine"..

Famous last words!..

First time we got to an open stretch of road and got it up to about 40 mph,I heard something--he looks in the rear view mirror,and I spun my head around and looked out the back window,and we both said "OH S***T at the same time,as the two boxes with at least a dozen tubes flew up about 20 feet in the air,and crashed to the pavement and made a loud explosion,and clouds of white dust came out of them..:yikes:..

Luckily no cars were behind us..he pulls over and says "Should we go back there "?..

.I shook my head,and said "If I were you,I'd just floor it and keep going"...he did...we made a 180 up the street,and headed back to Home Depot,over $100 just "blew up and away"--turned out they had no more in stock,we had bought the last 2 cases,so we had to go 10 miles more to a Lowe's...this time I suggested we take my van,which could easily hold 10 foot lengths of lumber--he agreed that was a better choice to transport them..

Transporting those 8 foot bulbs suck--unless you have a full sized van..its a 50/50 chance you'll either smash them before you get home with them,or drop one ,or smack one against something while your dancing on the ladder trying to twist them into the sockets..

I have been given some "valuable scrap" before and ended up being screwed too--a local lawn mower/small engine shop where I used to buy all my parts close to my house was a large operation,and they always had at least 2-3 pickup trucks worth of scrap out back--some whole tractors people decided were going to cost too much to fix and they said "scrap it for me",and a few hundred air cooled engines..

One day the owner told me "I dont have that part your looking for listed,but I may have a good used one out back--he showed me the scrap pile and my jaw dropped--many of the things in the pile looked very repairable,and were of the same vintage as the stuff I had at home and liked working on..

He said "If you want a job,I'll let you have ALL this stuff--but no cherry picking--you must take it ALL--I have a pile like this every couple of weeks usually...I hate scrapping much of it,because I always end up needing an obsolete part off something,but the insurance regulations and the fire department doesn't want me keeping it here and letting it accumulate"..

Well,the first load I took home I kept 90% of it--then the rest I kept going back for ended up being mostly just tractor chassis stripped clean of all the "good" parts--he bought a tractor trailer body to stash the good stuff in,and only scrapped the light iron or engines that were blown up with holes in the block,etc.

I was kind of pissed,because I got maybe 20 engines that ended up being good after some tinkering in the first load,and many transmissions that had nothing wrong with them too..

I had to go home and spend a day taking off every steel bolt and part off the engines to get 35 cents a pound for the non-ferrous cases,and the light iron was only bringing about 10 cents a pound then.

After3 months I told him "sorry,I cant take the scrap any more--its simply not worth the effort to strip everything and haul it in,and get maybe 25-50 bucks for a heaping truckload"..,he said "Eh--OK,I know some other guys that'll be glad to take it"..he acted like he was miffed,as if he did me a huge favor,for hauling off only JUNK,the first load was the only one that was worth taking really..

sweetk30

I build stuff
Premium Member
Reaction score
so I stopped in today to find out when they can get it ready to load .

I asked him if he could get me the 8ft x 12ft plate over there . he said he don't have any that size . I said I see it right there . he said you need to re-measure . . . that's 8ft x 20ft sheet of 1" .. :yikes:

that's 6550 lbs give or take . . . . I have to rethink my game plan but its still going to happen . I will do 4 4ft x 6ft and 2 4ft x 8ft units out of this sheet . re-sale the 4ft x 6ft I don't want now and keep 1 4ft x 8ft and sell the other . there 1380 lbs give or take on the 4ft x 8ft

sweetk30

I build stuff
Premium Member
Reaction score
he said nope . is what it is .

but even at .25 cents per pound its way less than brand new price . and for what i am doing i dont need brand new . this almost 99% new will do just fine.

F.S.F.W

1 ton status
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
he said nope . is what it is .

but even at .25 cents per pound its way less than brand new price . and for what i am doing i dont need brand new . this almost 99% new will do just fine.
Lol it’s 1” plate... old not new is probably good as new too!

kennyw

@N9PHW, @chop.shop.squarebody on IG
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
No difference between a used or new plate if it hasn't been used to the point of permanent deformation or rusted to hell...

Top Bottom