Welcome To CK5!
Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.
Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.
Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by m4, Jul 20, 2005.
wHEN IT RAINS IT POURS. HOW DIFFICULT IS IT TO DRILL OUT A BROKEN FLUSH THERMOSTAT HOUSING BOLT?
its not any more difficult than any other bolt...
1)center punch it carefully... in the center obviously
2)USE A NEW SHARP BIT...sized for the easyout extractor size ... 3/8" bolt uses a 5/16 IIRC
3) Mark drill bit for depth...tape... magic marker ...whatever...so you dont drill past the bolt into the manifold housing... drill sober... no shakey hands on this one...leave the bud for the weekend
4) use cutting fluid while drilling
5) use easyout carefully... dont break it off in there or you will have a hassle getting it out
6) clean it all up well and off you go
You missed step 0.
0) Use a penetrating fluid like PB blaster and let it soak over night.
opps.. youre right... the pb blaster step..... good stuff!!!
It's soaking overnight, tomorrow I'll try.
I assume that maybe you are dealing with an aluminum manifold since I never had any problems with bolts in the old cast iron ones. After you get it out be sure to use anti-sieze. You could also put studs in the manifold and use brass nuts.That should solve the problem of getting it apart next time.
if you booger the bolt hole too badly you can use a metric 10-1.50 heli-coil.
my buddy bought a 91 c30 at an auction and both holes were boogered, so i bought a 10-1.50 heli-coil kit and redid both holes. make sure you get the kit with the drill bit and coil installer, not just the insert itself.
Been gone for a while, a friend helped drill out the old bolt. Need to retap and go from there. Thanks All
Okay, we drilled out the broken bolt, re-tapped and installed a heli-coil. I put the radiator (old) in fired it up and it was leaking at the heater outlet. Auto zone did the warrenty exchange and I re installed another radiator. Everything is good now. Thanks all
Separate names with a comma.