CK5 Network
Repairing, restoring or modifying your ride just got a whole lot easier!

throwing a rod?

tecton

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
whats it look like?
what exactly happens?
any pictures?

fortcollinsram

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Usually the wrist pin breaks or a rod bolt breaks or the rod ust breaks in half and the rod literally gets thrown through the side of the block or through the oil pan...Usually if it is a nice throw, you will see a huge hole in the side of the block and the rod will be sticking out.

Chris

84_Chevy_K10

Banned
Reaction score
I should have taken pictures of mine.

Rod bolts stretched, rod bearing spun, rod broke, and went through the block and the oil pan.

OrangeCrushK10

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
My BMW currently has a bad rod. It's been going downhill for years, but it finally threw it a couple months ago. It makes a horrible knocking sound when it runs, probably the rod hitting the side of the block. Amazingly it still runs, though. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Say all you want about BMW's being yuppie cars, they're some of the best built vehicles ever. Come stock with a forged crank (probably the only thing keeping mine alive).

I've also seen my dad's built 327 chevy go. From what we can tell, it revved to high and a piston caught the bottom edge of a cylinder wall. Piston grenaded (biggest piece we found was about the size of a quarter) and the rod spun around taking out everything. The oil pan was hacked in half and the block had a huge chunk missing from it. It was pretty cool looking. You could see daylight straight through the middle of the block /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Top Bottom