To balance or not

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mouse, May 30, 2006.

1. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Mounted up some new Iroks this week. Went with the bias ply, 36 1350 16's (measure almost 37).

When I mounted them up on the wheels I did not balance them. After driving and hitting a couple of rolling bumps around 25 mph, I get the beginnings of death wobble. I have a couple of fender washers ready to go in, so the question is, should I balance the tires?

BTW, they feel pretty good at 45 mph...a little noisier than MTs, but no noticeable balance issues.

2. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

I didn't balance my 33" TSL's. That being said, I wouldn't drive them on the street more than a mile. I think with a tire as big as you have, the only real way to balance it is some sort of Media like beads.

3. AllamericanK5

AllamericanK5 1/2 ton status

I havent balanced my 35s. The first time you air down and crawl over that one rock the tire ends up being unbalanced any ways. Yeah i got vibs at 65 70 but i think thats because my drive shaft angles. ehh either way just keep them rotated.

4. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    my hawgs are balanced with equal.... seems to work.. however they get out of round sitting.. then when you go down the road..... IT IS BOUNCY!!! until they warm up :haha:

5. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

My exact thoughts with bias ply tires...why even waste the money, they balance themselves. Plus, like said earlier, once a rock bites a little out of it, it will be out of balance again...

6. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

I shimmed the kingpins with fender washers and still got death wobble....

I'm considering doing BB balancing but I havnt' decided yet for sure because the Hydro Assist appears to band-aided it enough to where it doesn't happen at all. I was tearing through a pitted & potholed dirt road at 30mph this weekend at purposly trying to trigger a DW and it never happened. On the city streets at about 30mph, it seemed like it was just starting to go into a DW and then it went away before anything happened.

We'll see if I have the time to pull the H1's apart to put a bunch of BBs into them between now and Divide Ride.

After that rambling, I would say if you're gonna balance them, do it with dynamic balancing (BB's, golf balls, etc) because as soon as you air down or a chunk they're out of balance again anyways. And either way you go, Hydro Assist > Stock Steering. :D

Mike

7. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I had death wobble around 25 MPH even with all new ball joints, tie rods and draglink. Put a steering stabilizer on it and it went away.

I balanced the 36" hummer tires at Sears. Lifetime balance on them now...thing cruises like a cadillac.