Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

torque converter probelm

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by aknight_sa, May 29, 2006.

  1. aknight_sa

    aknight_sa 1/2 ton status Premium Member

    Oct 14, 2005
    Likes Received:
    Saudi Arabia
    hi all, i have a 1981 GMC jimmy with a 454 BB engine and TH350 (no mods at all)... the problem i am having is when the car is in park i hear a strong metal crackling noise from underneath the car.. when i took to a mechanic he said the sound is either from the flywheel (not sure about the name) or from the torque converter...i had problems before from the flywheel and was sure it wasnt from it.. so he should be working on it by now... my question what could have caused such a problem?? and is there a special converter to be used if i had a big block engine? or the standard one that comes with the TH350 should be ok?? thanks
  2. boz42

    boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

    Jun 3, 2003
    Likes Received:
    Hopewell, Tn 38058
    normal convertor should be fine. the flexplate could be cracked. (flywheel is for standard, flexplates are for auto's)

Share This Page