Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Traction bars

Discussion in 'Center Of Gravity' started by k5blazerus, Jan 26, 2004.

1. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

I am getting ready to fab up some traction bars for the front and rear. I need some input on the best way to do this and the right way to do it. I dont want to take short cuts. The only kind of wheeling I do is up at the lakes for playing in the mud and the high desert for hill climbs and sand dunes. the only rocks around here are lava rocks and you do not want to do that unless you feel like buying tires. Any help would be cool.

2. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Ok, make the bars as long as possible. If you dont you will increase the anitsquat in the rear and i believe antidrive in the front. Also make them beafy and keep the upper bar as close to being parellel to the ground as possible. Use a shackle at the end of the bar opposite of the diffs to allow for the bar to move forward and back as the suspension compresses and droops. if you can make the mounts in the axles above the the bottom of the axle to reduce your chances of hitting it one something and make sure the mounting points are beefy enough to withstand the forces. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    the only rocks around here are lava rocks and you do not want to do that unless you feel like buying tires

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear that. We have some good trails here but its all Lava too. Real hell on tires. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif